Author Topic: Fading characteristics of LOR, Lynx, TigerDMX and Generic DMX Controllers  (Read 1662 times)

Offline dmoore

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, by dmoore »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Interesting.

Of course the LED and Incandescent fades should be closer on the LE if the proper dimming curves are assigned.

ie:
Channel 1 = LED strings
Channel 2 = LED C9
Channel 3 = Incandescent

All three channels set with the proper dimming curves

I do think the video shows how well the LE does fades.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
NICE Work David - LOVE seeing the Lynx win's over LOR as expected!!!!

Harrison

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
Exellent Video very informative, Proofs in the pudding GO Lynx , Thank you for taking the time to do this

Jeff

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
Good stuff David... thanks for sharing!

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Very Cool Video!

Thanks for taking the time and shareing it.

It shows the reason I created LNT, the LEDS ramp up faster than the LED's. It would of been interesting to see how the LNT with the Correct curves helps this by making the Leds' and standard work more alike.  Bill has a video posted from a long while back showing a good example of without and with and how it matches them up.  The reason the leds are brighter than optimum on level 1 on the express is because in real world the stock curve is running the leds at four times the lowest level the LE can do.  There is really 1024 steps of brightness on an Express.

So DMX level 1 is really Brightness Level 4 on an Express using a stock curve. Custom curves take advantage of this to slow the LED ramps to 1/4 normal and then increase the rate as needed to create linear fading that matches your standard lights. This is very different than what is going on in the other dimmers.

Don't get me wrong as you showed the Express stands it's ground with all stock curves loaded but it has room for improvment with the right curves loaded for the lights.   

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
I am going to use S2 this year again. Vixen is not powerful enough for my display and LSP just has too many issues not fixed yet.  I have been testing the beta for S2 so know what is being released.

The light curves for Mini's and LED's I have noticed for 2 years are not the same.

This years LED's curves are different than past LED's in my display. I use about 90+% LED's. Even between colors with this years LED custom curves would be needed.

The only way to fix it for me this year will be custom intensities as time is running short.

Would like to see more on light curves and what is being used between Mini's and LED's

My base line for intensities this year will be 0-75% LOR or 0-176 for DMX.  I will use 100/255 for some shimmers or strobe effects.

2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tpctech

I am going to use S2 this year again. Vixen is not powerful enough for my display and LSP just has too many issues not fixed yet.  I have been testing the beta for S2 so know what is being released.

I too have really been on the fence about this also - LOR is completely stable, even if lacking the abilities (transitions) that LSP has.  I *really* wish LSP was more reliable and that maybe the case in the future.  So, now I'm at that point where what I have planned is over 800 channels but that would require the purchase of another iDMX, which has NO other use than with S2.  So - do you gamble with LSP or throw away your money on iDMX to be able to stick with S2 and do without transitions?

With all the really great hardware out there - even this year, 2011 is going to be the year where sequencing software really needs to step up to the plate if we are going to move forward.

I am going the same direction.  My show is driven by LOR S2 and is a combination of LOR and LYNX controllers.  With this year my DMX count is reaching 450 channels so I purchased another iDMX during the sale just in case I run out of channels and/or as a backup!  Back to soldering a pile LE boards!

KEN

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
I hope it works as planned.  I have about 544 of LOR and 6 - 7 Lynx boards I plan to use with an iDMX.  I'm staying with S2 regardless if the Lynx gear integrates or not because I'm familiar with it and I know it's rock solid.

I am a little nervous of how the intelligent channels works on the iDMX unit with fading the Lynx gear however.

What 2012 holds is anyone's guess but I do hope there are improvements in all the software packages because programming is a handful with this many channels.

Unlucky for me I don't have many LED's yet.

Offline tpctech

I hope it works as planned.  I have about 544 of LOR and 6 - 7 Lynx boards I plan to use with an iDMX.  I'm staying with S2 regardless if the Lynx gear integrates or not because I'm familiar with it and I know it's rock solid.

I am a little nervous of how the intelligent channels works on the iDMX unit with fading the Lynx gear however.

What 2012 holds is anyone's guess but I do hope there are improvements in all the software packages because programming is a handful with this many channels.

Unlucky for me I don't have many LED's yet.

I did not see any issues with the intelligent channels last year.  Fading should never be an issue.  Effects like shimmer and twinkle work fine with the  iDMX as long as you are not doing more then 64 channels at one time.  I had about 200 DMX channels running last year with the iDMX (old firmware) and did not have any problems.

KEN 

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
I thought I read somewhere there were 128 intelligent channels with the recent firmware release on the iDMX.  Can anyone confirm this?