Author Topic: Wall Wart died?  (Read 837 times)

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Wall Wart died?
« on: November 19, 2012, »
I have a 7.2v 2900mah power supply for my BetaBrite that puked last night.  For the past few years I have powered it from a LOR AC controller.  This year I tried a DC/AC SSR and it died after about 6 hours of use.  I’m trying to understand if it was from heat as it was enclosed in a wood box or if the power from the SSR was bad.

I’m curios if I should try a new supply with the same setup or switch is back to being powered  from a Lynx Express?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, by Jeffl »

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
Re: Wal Wart died?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, »
Saw you post heading and mis-read it first time.

I thought the heading was WAL MART Died, <yk..
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Wal Wart died?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, »
+1  :-[
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
Re: Wall Wart died?
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, »
Too funny. I updated the title.  I also switched the BetaBrite back to an LE (much simpler).  It's a huge linear power supply and I think the old one just hit its useful life.  If this one goes there will be no more sign.  And that will be a simple fix to the problem. :)

Offline rm357

Wall Wart died?
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, »
Be sure to set the LE light curve for that channel to Strobe. Power supplies should not be dimmed - the dimming puts out a lot of electrical noise that the power supply is not going to do well with...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
Re: Wall Wart died?
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, »
I'll do that. 

I have read different post about this but I would like to see a scope view of the LE with and without the strobe setting set.  I'd also like to see the DC/AC SSR but I don't have a scope.

I looked at the power supply and it comprised of a huge winding, large cap, fuse and I think 4 diodes.  It's a very simple design and it's hard to understand why it would care what the  input power looks like.

Offline rm357

Wall Wart died?
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, »
Here are a couple of write ups on dimming methods. All of ours is of the phase forward type where we rely on the triac's normal behavior to turn off when the voltage across the device reaches zero (at the zero crossings).

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

That last web site is a little dated and incomplete when it starts talking about using a pic for dimming, but it gives a good idea of how it works
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, by rm357 »
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA