Author Topic: Voice overs  (Read 1445 times)

Offline mitch09

Voice overs
« on: December 13, 2012, »
Does anyone use voice overs to help control traffic? I made our small town paper this year and the traffic is pretty busy in my culdesac. I am worries the neighbors aren't going to embrace it for long. I thought maybe voice overs would help direct the traffic and keep everyone safe. What do you all think?
Ryan

sjb

Re: Voice overs
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, »
I have used some from demented elf.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, »
Yes, I used voice overs that told people to be courteous and to not block my neighbor's driveways.

The people who pay attention to voice over messages already know not to block people's driveways and not to play the music so loud I can hear it inside my house.

The others? They don't listen or care. I didn't find that it helped at all.

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
Voice overs
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, »
You can time short segments of songs with 2 minute pauses every few songs and it tends to control traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, »
You can time short segments of songs with 2 minute pauses every few songs and it tends to control traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

never thought of that...  good idea!
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, »
The latest version of Light Show Pro has a bunch of canned voice overs available, including some related to neighbors, traffic, etc. Of course, this is only useful if you're an LSP owner.

-Mike

Offline mitch09

Voice overs
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, »
I am running LSP 2.5 but use light elf to xLights as I find Xlights more reliable. Can I use the LSP voice overs in Xlights?

Offline mitch09

Voice overs
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, »
I got it going with voice overs. We will see if it helps.

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, »
Mitch,
I had traffic issues last year. This year I am only playing 4-6 songs a night. (last year 18, over 50 minute show) I play different songs on different nights and it seems to help move people along.
Just a thought...

Offline sielbear

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, »
I'm dong a couple of things this year.  1.) I have an animated voiceover between every song.  The voiceover rotates between "be nice to my neighbors", "give generously to Happy Tales" and "sponsored by Safe Network Solutions" which is my company I own.  2.) I try to stay engaged with the audience pretty frequently.  I'll go out tonight about every 10 minutes to hand out candy canes and talk with visitors.  I probably give out  2,000 candy canes a year.  When I am in the grind in the spring, debating if I have the energy to do another year, I remember the guests, not the technology / lights.  The people are what keep me motivated.  3.) I have about 10 songs total.  I mix up the playlist to keep traffic moving, but still show all of the songs.  What I do is play songs (remember, voiceovers between every song, and I do the Christmas Story every couple of songs too) 1 and 2, then 3, 4, and 5.  I then play 1 and 2, then 6, 7, and 8.  Back to 1 and 2.  This gives the FELLING the show is repeating.  This also let's me keep some sanity with a larger selection of songs. 

Offline mitch09

Voice overs
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, »
Great idea about the "feeling" of repeat. I only have 6 songs but a simple rotation is a good idea

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, »
My "station" has complete imaging - VoiceOver and produced elements - but I work in radio and couldn't live with myself if i didn't have those things. I do mention to not block traffic or driveways.  Does it work?  I'd like to think so.  My neighbors haven't complained.  You will always get the people that are ignorant regardless of what's in the broadcast or even posted on signs.

A number of trick or treaters tripped over Cat5 cable - even after giving them candy and personally telling them to stay off the grass.  Next year, I'm having a pool to see how many victims I can get! (Kidding.)

That's my 2 cents.

Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, »
the CZH-05B  has a jack on the front for connection of a microphone....

"Hey, buddy! try turning down your radio! I can hear it from inside!"   might work  >:D
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline zwiller

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, »
 <la..  Yes you in the silver accord with license plate number....   :o
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, »
the CZH-05B  has a jack on the front for connection of a microphone....

"Hey, buddy! try turning down your radio! I can hear it from inside!"   might work  >:D

The simple fix for "too loud" is to pull the power for the transmitter. The burst of static will have them diving for the volume control.
For the reasonable volume people, they'll just wonder for a moment, then they'll applaud.