Author Topic: New Pixelnet Product Design Request  (Read 1289 times)

Offline MrChristmas2000

New Pixelnet Product Design Request
« on: May 10, 2012, »
I would like to see a Pixelnet to multiple DMX universe hub.

It would be based on the same structure as the current Active Hub but have up to 8 DMX decoder circuits. It could even run off a Power Dongle vs a PC supply.

While having a DMX output on an Active Hub there are many people which have more than 1 extra DMX universe along with their Pixelnet.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
New Pixelnet Product Design Request
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, »
Cool idea. 

How about a dmx / pixel net bridge/convertor ... Which would just hardware convert either way (one or the other) and uses dip switch set-able or jumper set input and output ranges? 

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: New Pixelnet Product Design Request
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, »
The idea of having the 16384 pixelnet channels -- all available as DMX channels is very interesting!

i know that my attempts to use 6 USB dongles was a hassle last year with COM ports, etc.  Now that I'm using the EtD, using the network and avoiding USB/COMx is a huge benefit. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, »
My intent this year (little or no Pixelnet and SS use) is to use the EtherDongle, flashed for DMX, then using the Combiner board (in reverse) to give me 4 DMX universes. Getting 32 DMX universes!!! out of a single Dongle would be great, though.

A single Ethernet cable out the window to an EtD on my front porch would sure beat 4 cables from 4 dongles.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, »
If RJ would do the design I'd run the coop. Just sayin. . . .  :)

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, »
I could see if you only had one or two hubs you may need another universe or two of DMX. Just get another EtherDongle and program it with DMX firmware.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, »
I'm just guessing but I'd bet that one of these DMX breakout units would be a lot cheaper than another e-dongle.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, »
Maybe yes, maybe no.  It really depends on how it is designed and what it can do.  If the design is simply taken from the active hub then I would bet that 4 of them would exceed the cost of 1 etherdongle. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving