Author Topic: PICK it 3 Help SOLVED  (Read 6059 times)

Offline mmais68569

PICK it 3 Help SOLVED
« on: May 01, 2012, »
I keep getting this error message

The PICkit 3 is missing its Device Database. Please reconnect
to the PC and try again.
PK3Err0045: You must connect to a target device to use PICkit

Can anyone help me????????

Mike
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, by mmais68569 »

Offline DanHouston

Re: PICK it 3 Help
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, »
I did not get that specific error, but did have  trouble getting it to initially load and work. I ended up having to move to different USB ports on my computer until I found one that worked. From reading forums finding the "magic" USB port does not seem that uncommon.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, »
If I remember correctly,  when I ran the pickit software the first time, it updated itself.  Might have even been a firmware update.  I do know you have to manually select the correct PIC from the dropdown list.  It will not automatically detect.

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, »
It did do an update & that is when I started getting the error.

Mike

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, »
Did you load MPLAB on your PC.  I know the rule is not to use MPLAB to program the PICS but it is needed to update the PICKit-3.  Once the PICKit-3 is updated with the current and required firmware, then you can go back to the utility to program the PIC's. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline meman

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, »
Don't bother with the MPLAB if you are just trying to write to a few chips. Just use the pickit3 Stand Alone Programmer from this link. I had the same problems last night and got mine working great after doing a little research.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Once you install and load the program, you are likely to notice that none of the dropdown menus work. If that is the case, click Tools ->Download Operating System as described in this previous thread. Install the .jam file.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

At that point the pickit dongle should show a blue light as it is being updated. The status window will indate that it's finished, but green bar on the pickit screen never quits it "updating loop". Not to worry, your pickit is now ready to use. As you use the dropdown to specify your chip, it will automatically install more updates as needed.

Good Luck,
Mike E.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, »
You know, the pickit3 is needed for newer chips but it is kind of a pain!  I am not the first or last to say this. The pickit 2 is far easier and friendlier to use. I still use my two on everything but the stuff it will not work on. all of the express kits dad does I use the two to program the pics.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, »
I agree. I was planning to sell Pickit 2 after i bought Pickit 3. But after trying Pickit 3 for an hour I kept my Pickit 2.

Offline mmais68569

Re: PICK it 3 Help SOLVED
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, »
What happened when the file updated it did not load, I had to go into, Programmer, settings, configuration, & then clicked Manual Download. That installed the update file & everything now works.

Mike