Author Topic: Indoor Only Light Strings  (Read 1055 times)

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
Indoor Only Light Strings
« on: January 05, 2011, »
Hello Folks,
     I hope this goes here....  I bought two trees from Wal-Mart at 75% off (or close to) and they are indoor only trees.  That part doesn't bother me because they are going out on my display this Christmas.  The problem I think is they came prestrung with clear lights.  Well the light string is also rated for "Indoor Use Only."

Has anyone used such strings outside?  Should I just strip these two trees of the lights and re-string them with my own Indoor/Outdoor light strings?  Or should I just run with them and when they peter out to replace them then?

Or will I end up  <md.. everything?

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline tbone321

Re: Indoor Only Light Strings
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, »
It is hard to make that call without seeing them but I have used indoor only strings outside before without any problems. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, »
What should I look at to see if they'll be o.k.?  Or what would you be looking at / for?  I'll see if I can find out.
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, »
Actually folks disregard....  It doesn't matter...

While putting the lights into my spreadsheet when I looked at the amps drawn it was crazy!!!!!!!  The stock lights drew 1.29 amps while my Wal-Mart lights (same count) drew only 0.74 amps!!!!!!!!!!!  Those stock lights are coming off!  WOW!  Cheap strings!  Not very energy efficient what so ever!

Thanks for the info. thus far!
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, »
That is because the stock lights are probably a higher voltage and probably brighter.  They do this so that they can use less bulbs which saves money in both material and labor costs as well as looking better.  If the current draw is a concern for you then strip them off and replace them but you might want to compare the brightness of the two strings and see if the tree will be bright enough for you with the replacement strings.  Also remember that indoor rated trees are not going to be UV resistant and the branch wire is not coated and wil probably rust quickly if exposed to rain and/or outdoor weather.

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, »
That is because the stock lights are probably a higher voltage and probably brighter.  They do this so that they can use less bulbs which saves money in both material and labor costs as well as looking better.  If the current draw is a concern for you then strip them off and replace them but you might want to compare the brightness of the two strings and see if the tree will be bright enough for you with the replacement strings.  Also remember that indoor rated trees are not going to be UV resistant and the branch wire is not coated and wil probably rust quickly if exposed to rain and/or outdoor weather.

They were pretty bright but that amperage is a killer.  I couldn't believe that.  But they count on the lights was the same as I would have put on there.  Strange.

I didn't think about the UV protection.  But hey at $9.50 each who cares! lol  I suppose I could always coat them with something..  I'll keep a look out with the after season sale after this Christmas and see what I can get to replace 'em! lol  Now that I know what I'm looking for anyway! :)

Thanks for the info.!

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, »
I am sure that they will last more than 1 season and the fade will probably not be all that bad in 1 month outside.  The thing to watch out for is the possible rust issue as that can cause issues with you light strings as well as cause excessive shedding of the branch material. 

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, »
I am sure that they will last more than 1 season and the fade will probably not be all that bad in 1 month outside.  The thing to watch out for is the possible rust issue as that can cause issues with you light strings as well as cause excessive shedding of the branch material. 

I hope so but like i said for $10 each no big deal.  The rust though could be an issue.  Thankfully when I set them up snow will be the primary thing.  We did have some rain during a stretch of warm weather but that was just odd.  Maybe if I paint the metal parts a black to help protect them...  Food for thought I guess.. 

The biggest worry is the wind.  I've already planned on 4 guy lines for each tree to help stablize them.  Just for that little extra security.

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: