Author Topic: 2 of the digits not displaying  (Read 2642 times)

Offline diceman3807

2 of the digits not displaying
« on: November 15, 2019, »
My first and third digit on one of my LE5 are not displaying. If I change swap the center and either of the non-functioning, the center one still works so it appears to be the first and third displays having issues. I tried reflowing the connectors but no change. Any ideas?

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: 2 of the digits not displaying
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, »
Greetings,,,

We've seen this before.  It may be the 2700 cap next to the displays.  Check also this post:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline diceman3807

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, »
I replaced the 2700 cap and still the 1st and 3rd digit don't work. I can swap LEDs and the problem stays with the sockets. I swapped the chip with a working one 1064 driver with a working one and still the 2nd digit is the only one that lights.

This was working for several years but now has failed. Any other ideas? Doesn't appear to affect the functionality, just have to manage changing the start channel differently.

Thanks,
Jon

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, »
I would take a look at the PIC and its socket and make sure the pins are clean and the solder joints on its socket are good.  You can always use the Express configuration utility to set the start channel otherwise.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, »
Touch up the solder joints on the middle socket and the saa1064 chip. Sounds like the ground is not connecting. Also make very sure the Cap is sticking through the PCB and the metal on it is making contact as this will cause the SAA 1064 to not switch to the middle digit and send it signals.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying