Author Topic: Video request of Smart Strips in PVC  (Read 2324 times)

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
Video request of Smart Strips in PVC
« on: January 13, 2013, »
Anyone have a video of smart strips or dumb strips that they used in PVC where you can see both sides of the PVC (both the LED side and the non-LED side)?  I have an idea for a project for next year, but wanted to see what it might look like before diving in...

Duane

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Video request of Smart Strips in PVC
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, »
like this?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, »

each arch is 8 sections of dumb flex strip that I powered with the chips from smart string nodes.
there was no way to "point" the dumb strips, and each section isn't facing the same way inside the pvc.
safe to say..  1/4 of the sections are facing you, 1/4 are facing away. 1/4 up, and 1/4 down

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, »

each arch is 8 sections of dumb flex strip that I powered with the chips from smart string nodes.
there was no way to "point" the dumb strips, and each section isn't facing the same way inside the pvc.
safe to say..  1/4 of the sections are facing you, 1/4 are facing away. 1/4 up, and 1/4 down

Thanks Chris...the dispersion of the lights looked pretty uniform.  Would you say this was the case in "real life" as well?  I was looking to utilize two dumb strips back to back inside PVC to get dual colors on a project but after this, I think I might just have to go smart strips and utilize some nutcracker effects to get the look I want. 

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, »
I was a little nervous, as I only tested the lights inside and when they went outside, they didn't go on, until it was time to be part of the show.

It's really been the highlight of this year. 

I was thinking of toying with the idea of placing some dumb strip back to back inside to see what kind of look I could get.
I was also thinking of trying regular smarts string nodes inside to see what they would do (for this, I have my nodes zip tied to lay flat with the cables, rather than stick out.

I haven't tried those ideas yet.

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, »
If you happen to try the dumb strips back to back, if you could video it, it'd help me out a lot.  I'm concerned that if the dispersion is pretty equal, then the two strips may "merge" colors and create an "ugly" color through the PVC when two different colors are used at the same time.  I'm going to try the node idea with my smart pixel nodes I have now to determine what the dispersion looks like though mine I had custom made with 10" centers, so I know I'll have to get some more that are closer together. 

Duane

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, »
I've got the smart string flex string inside of pex tubing in my arches.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, »
I've got the smart string flex string inside of pex tubing in my arches.

What size Pex did you use?  I bought a piece of 3/4" pex 10 ft long, but the strip seemed to be too tight.  To get 1" I have to buy a 100 ft roll of Pex.  I tried a 3/4" piece of PVC and that works ok, but I'm thinking the flexibility of Pex would be better.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, »
Its 3/4.  The end caps are what make it tight, it you take one off the strip it will slide in much better.  Once all the way in you can push the other side in although its tight and then push it enough so the other side comes out to put a cap back on.   

My arches are half a strip so I used the cut ends to slide in the pex before I put caps back on.  Its the silcone sleeve that makes it tight.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, »

My arches are half a strip so I used the cut ends to slide in the pex before I put caps back on.  Its the silcone sleeve that makes it tight.

if you're putting it in it's own protective sleeve (the pex) why not just get the flex strips without the silicone tubing?

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, »

if you're putting it in it's own protective sleeve (the pex) why not just get the flex strips without the silicone tubing?

Yep you can, I just left it on since it fit and I had the cap to put back on, just another waterproofing step I guess.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, »
Are you mounting with rebar?  Does the pex need support?  I am thinking pex ss arches too but not sure best way to mount. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, »
with rebar supports on each end, i can see pex being sturdy enough in 10ft lengths or shorter.  it's when you want to have the really big arches, where i dont rally think pex would be strong enough.

i bought 5m dumb strips at about $11 that are NOT waterproof for use inside thin-wall PVC.  the reason i went with that material, what that the pex seemed to be more "led's shining individually, as opposed to the well blend of the PVC.  plus, i can place the ssc inside the pipe with the leds.

next year, i'll have a 10ft section with leds and ssc inside, then a coupler, then a short piece of PVC with a hole in the side for the cat 5 cable to go in.
I can disconnect the arch for repairs, and still have the entire assembly (plus the wire connections well protected from water)
with only the jacket of the cat5 cable exposed to the elements between the pipe, and the battery ox holding the hub, there's no way for water to affect operation.

Offline kfxi

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, »
You said you made up eight sections, is that eight strings of dumb strings and how many nodes in the dumb string and what is the length of each section.  Where did you get the tubing?

Ken

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, »
Are you mounting with rebar?  Does the pex need support?  I am thinking pex ss arches too but not sure best way to mount.

Yep mounted with rebar and pipe clamps.  My arches were about 5 ft long and no support needed, I actually had my ssc mounted at the top of each also.

Here is a picture of one of the ends.