Author Topic: ssc v2 or v3?  (Read 1492 times)

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
ssc v2 or v3?
« on: October 20, 2012, »
i am ready to assemble about 16 ssc. i have the boards and components.

i would like to have some lights for halloween, 9 days away.

should i modify these v2 boards for v3?

the wiki has this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for v2, v3 link i s empty.

it would be easier to cut the pcb now , before components are on it?

thanks
sean
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Re: ssc v2 or v3?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, »
There were some possible issues with the ssc V3 mod so it was pulled back until it could be finalized.  The V2 SSC seems to work fine as long as you keep the distance from the controller to first node relatively short.  There is a big thread titled "SSC2 has a bug" or something similar with all the details.

-Keith

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There were some possible issues with the ssc V3 mod so it was pulled back until it could be finalized.  The V2 SSC seems to work fine as long as you keep the distance from the controller to first node relatively short.  There is a big thread titled "SSC2 has a bug" or something similar with all the details.

-Keith

Ok, i have 36 of these SSC v2's. I will go and build them as v2. i have 20 flex strings and 16 128 node strings.

so the 47 ohn resistor is fine, i dont need a 220 or something resistor?

the ssc is going to be about 1 foot from the start of the flex strip.

thanks

Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, »
Sean, My tree that I have been testing is using V2 SSCs unmodified with no problems other that my own stupidity in programming the start address.  I have about 16-18 in of lead wire and everything works great.  I always wait on mods for awhile after they come out unless I am having problems so I never did the mod that was posted.  But on my order to Mouser last week I did order a bunch of extra 330 ohm resistors.  I have ordered extra parts on almost every order I put in to Mouser and I have slowly build up a supply of spares.  Having spares seems to be a good practice based on my past experience and many of the parts are only a few cents..
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, »
Having followed closely the details of the original unofficial mod from Corey and the subsequent official mod from RJ, I would highly recommend incorporating the mod.  Some strings may work, but you are living on the edge without the mod -- rock solid with the mod.  I agree that the mod will be easier prior to assembling the SSC's, so if you have any leeway I'd suggest holding off.  I'm hoping RJ posts the new (V4?) mod and firmware soon. If you want to give it a go with the stock V2 you can always mod later but it will be a bit of extra work.

-Mike

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, »
In his last message, RJ confirmed that the trace that needs to be cut is the correct one. It is a lot (LOT) easier to cut it before anything is assembled than after (I modified 8 that were already built, and that was a pain. Later on I built 25 from scratch and did the cut before assembly, that was a thousand time easier and definitely faster).
If you are not comfortable leaving with v3, I would suggest making the cut before assembly, then just wiring it back with a little cable during assembly and finishing the board as a v2. Once the 'v4' comes out, you'll just have to remove the extra jumper cable.
RJ did confirm that the only thing he was foreseeing being changed on the mod, was the jumper cable that is added. It will go to a different pin. I have not run into any issues with the 33 v3 I currently have.

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, »
In his last message, RJ confirmed that the trace that needs to be cut is the correct one. It is a lot (LOT) easier to cut it before anything is assembled than after (I modified 8 that were already built, and that was a pain. Later on I built 25 from scratch and did the cut before assembly, that was a thousand time easier and definitely faster).
If you are not comfortable leaving with v3, I would suggest making the cut before assembly, then just wiring it back with a little cable during assembly and finishing the board as a v2. Once the 'v4' comes out, you'll just have to remove the extra jumper cable.
RJ did confirm that the only thing he was foreseeing being changed on the mod, was the jumper cable that is added. It will go to a different pin. I have not run into any issues with the 33 v3 I currently have.

besides cutting the trace should i change the 47 ohm resistor to something like 220 ohm? The wiki page that described v3 has been removed. i think i remember where the to cut the trace .

i can cut it and just jumper it back like you suggested.
thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, »
i'm going with the 330 ohms on mine.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, »
i'm not in a rush to have immediate answers... i can wait a little longer.  it looks like there is still not a final resolution to the questions.

but...

I'm hoping to see a writeup with the details around the upgrade or conversion of existing (built) kits, and also the unbuilt PCBs -- to the latest and greatest SSC version.  I'm looking for the parts that I'll need to order, and also for the build/conversion instructions that show the details for each:

Scenario 1:  with a SSC v1 pcb -- build a SSC v4
Scenario 2:  with a built SSC v1 -- convert to a SSC v4
Scenario 3:  with a SSC v2 pcb -- build a SSC v4
Scenario 4:  with a built SSC v2 -- convert to a SSC v4

There are details that can be gleened from the past threads, but there is also contradictory and incomplete info there as well.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, »
Don't go cutting the wrong trace now :O
The 47ohm resistors were all replaced by 330 ohms on my boards. In my last order to mouser I didn't even order the 47ohms. But all my boards have the v3 mod also. Remember that that part of the mod (to go from v2->v3) was 'optional', and was somewhat a different mod. The recommended values for the resistor was anything between 220 and 330 ohms.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, by fyb2000 »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, »
The mod is coming in the next couple of days if you wish to wait.
RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, »
Looks like it has now arrived: