Author Topic: Question about grouping  (Read 1007 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Question about grouping
« on: October 31, 2012, »
I think I know the answer, but with the new smart string programming software that has grouping capability, can you group in different sizes?  I have 3 nested stars, a small inside a medium inside a large (see picture), that I would like to group the nodes on each star together.  So I would like the 40 nodes on the outer star grouped as one, the 30 nodes on the medium star grouped as one and the 20 nodes on the inner star grouped as one.  Right now I have all 90 nodes running off one controller and would like to continue to use one controller, but also would like to have each star as one "unit" to make sequencing easier.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline njKeever

Re: Question about grouping
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, »
I don't think you can. I made a similar star; all out of one SS strand. I flashed it as individual pixels to allow more flexibility in programming, but then created groups in LSP to control each nested star as one.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, »
I don't think you can make different-sized groups.

Can you consider making groups of 10 nodes?

Then, you'd have the outer with 4, the middle with 3 and the inner with 2.  It will still have performance and sequencing benefits.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, »
Greetings,,,

You could look at strand effects in Nutcracker.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Greetings,,,

You could look at strand effects in Nutcracker.

Keith

Thought about that, but I'm sure there will be instances where nutcracker will be way overkill for these and if I had them reduced to 3 channels each, they would be easy to sequence.  It is an option, just still more complicated than I wanted.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't think you can make different-sized groups.

Can you consider making groups of 10 nodes?

Then, you'd have the outer with 4, the middle with 3 and the inner with 2.  It will still have performance and sequencing benefits.

I like this the best.  I was thinking about groupings of 20 (or 40, just leaving the last 20 off for the inner star as I don't think the controller would know they weren't there), but that wouldn't work for the middle star but 10 would work.  Instead of 3 segments, I would have 9.  Still very manageable.  I haven't played around with groups yet (just got the first SSC V3 running yesterday) so still feeling my around this new capability.

Thanks for the input,
-Keith

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, »
One more question.  Lets say I have a string divided into 2 groups.  So it takes 6 channels for the string.  How do the channels work with grouping?  Is it:

1 - Section 1 Red
2 - Section 1 Green
3 - Section 1 Blue
4 - Section 2 Red
5 - Section 2 Green
6 - Section 2 Blue

Or is it:

1 - Section 1 Red
2 - Section 2 Red
3 - Section 1 Green
4 - Section 2 Green
5 - Section 1 Blue
6 - Section 2 Blue

I'm sure I am missing something simple or way over thinking this, but need to know for sure before I go too far.  Sorry for all the basic questions.   :-[

TIA,
-Keith

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, »
1 - Section 1 Red
2 - Section 1 Green
3 - Section 1 Blue
4 - Section 2 Red
5 - Section 2 Green
6 - Section 2 Blue
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!