Author Topic: added feature to future dimmers  (Read 867 times)

Offline tpctech

added feature to future dimmers
« on: August 03, 2009, »
RJ,

What do you think of adding a LED to your dimmers to tell power status and DMX link.  I thought about a easy way to integrate without not much additional work or cost.  Add a tricolor 3 lead LED to the unit.

With no DMX connected and no PIC programmed the LED would light RED
With no DMX and PIC programmed the LED would flash RED to Yellow (red LED constant and Green would flash on pic output line)
With DMX connected the LED would be constant yellow (red LED AND green LED on)  this would indicate Valid DMX

Just my 2 cents.  It would help with general debug with power (GFCI trips) and DMX link issues wired or wireless!

I am currently building your SSR4/DMX and looking forward to Express build time.   I have designed and built many analog dimmers and firing cards in there day and are amazed how relatively simple the PIC dimmers are!

Thanks for you cool dimmers

KEN

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
Re: added feature to future dimmers
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, »
Ken,
Not sure if you realize it, but the LE's already detect the presence of a DMX signal.  I don't have mine in front of me, but when in test mode, one of the channel LED's will light up if it is receiving a DMX signal.  There's a couple of other diagnostic indicators in test mode.

Having an indicator while the board is in normal mode might be helpful...   Don't know if there's any signals to drive more status LED's available in the current design, or if this would require additional circuitry.
Mark
Kernersville, NC
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tpctech

Re: added feature to future dimmers
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, »
Thanks I did not know that.  I currently don't have any LE's yet but have ordered a couple in the coop. I was thinking about the MR16 and SSR4 with DMX.   Most of existing hardware is LOR PC16 Kit boards which have an LED showing status at all times.  I have extended this LED to the side of my boxes.  I makes it easy to check for good links!  We have alot of deer and have had trouble with them breaking the Cat5 cables.   I know go wireless :)

I did think of the I/O on the PIC constaints but figured it would no be an issue on SSR4.  I will have to research the current PIC I/O count

KEN