Author Topic: Software to back up computer, mentioned at one of the mini's.  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Randy_A

• Lockport Lights
Does anyone remember the name of the software?? I am at a loss, my laptop died right after...

Thanks,
Randy

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Greetings,,,

You may have been thinking of Carbonite, mentioned at the TN mini, but there are others.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline memphislights

Norton Ghost
Terabyteunlimited BootIT <-- this is what I use alot
Acronis
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I use a program called SyncBack that comes from 2brightsparks.com.  This program keeps a syncronized backup of the data file and only copies files that have been changed or newly created, i.e., a syncronized backup.  There is a free version and a paid version ($30).  I used the free version for several years, but finally switched to the mid level paid version called SyncBackSE since it has a few more features and functions that I find very useful.  1. It is easier to configure specific files and folders, 2.  It will copy all current security, and 3 It can copy to a named drive which eliminated the sometimes changed drive letters that come when connecting a USB drive.  I backup to two different USB hard drives and keep one in my car and one in the house.  I try to swap them around every week or two.  I started keeping one in my car, which is not garaged, after a friend had his house burn down.  RE" named drives I have one USB drive that is red and one that is blue with the really creative names of red drive and blue drive.  I could name them both the same and use one backup profile for both drives, but since the backup program keeps logs of each backup including date and time stamps I can see when I last backed by using two profiles with each backing up to a different drive.  btw, the paid version never expires and all updates are free.  I highly recommend it.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
I am like Jim, I have several backup pieces .. a one touch that sits at home and backs up using comodo.   It is free for personal use and quite intuitive to set up.  Then it is synchromized when the other devices are plugged in.

I have some linkstations as well that come with a 10 user memeo backup license.  Memeo is very well defined as is out the box and will catch most everything you should backup and does a immediate backup / synchronize as files are changed.   I have used these with clients as well as they are very simple to use. As they fill up I move them offsite and then get another. over a year we can get a very robust backup plan set up.

I also have some thumb drives as the bigger backup network devices too big to put in your pocket. 

watch for all these to be on sale, as you can save 30% to 40% on them on sale and you can get a terabyte for less then $100 if you pay attention

I think the One touch came with some Maxtor backup license for 5 PCs.

AS Jim mine are colored .. and I refer to them as "THE" black thumb.  or the gray thumb

I also use allsync and have for years.  It is simple synchronizing program to set up and let run by itself

so my files are backuped as they are change, a scheduled back up and then sycnchronized as I plug in and unplug devices.

DOn't forget Breifcase that comes with windows or even NTbackup that comes with windows, very good programs.

call me paranoid if you will,  I resemble that remark

Merry Lightmass
Bill  AKA blearning AKA BL

Offline REM

Cobian Backup is simple and free: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. But backing up to something like an external drive doesn't do you any good in the event of major catastrophe.

For offline storage of stuff you absolutely cannot lose try You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. It's free for 2GB and only $5/mo unlimited.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Greetings,,,

Or back up bit by bit in separate pics, stored offsite, disguised as light controllers.

(Have a coop master mark the parity bits with white spots...)

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline RJ

• Administrator
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Greetings,,,

Or back up bit by bit in separate pics, stored offsite, disguised as light controllers.

Keith

Keith!  I told you not to try those pills Rick sent you !!!!!!!!    ;D

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Greetings,,,

Keith

Keith!  I told you not to try those pills Rick sent you !!!!!!!!    ;D

RJ

How did I get involved with this??

I been monitoring the site and working on my showl layout and sequence(s).

Besides I don't share my pills LOL

Cheers

Rick R.

Btw: Been working on my train too
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
I just wanted to check that you were reading the post Rick.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying