Author Topic: Installing software  (Read 770 times)

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
Installing software
« on: January 17, 2010, »
HI, What is required to install and how simple steps i know zero to nothin about computers.                 1. Dongle Firmware i have in my documents i think its a zip file is ther any thing else i need to do to it .                                                                                 
                                  2. FTDI got on there site VIA software in Wiki Tried to follow but didn,t know what to click on my computer is XP home Edition                                             
                                  3. Express have not even attempted ( Ran out of TYLENOL  :P )       
 Is ther a easy method to all this for this NOOBIE it took me 1 week to finally install and play with Vixen (  :D Have my first seqence done ) I really am hooked on this just not real computer smart .                                                                                                                 
                                     IF it just me I,m SOOOO  SORRY trying my best before bothering yall.                THANKS                   :-[
Jeff

Offline austindave

Re: Installing software
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, »
Hi Jeff,

1. The dongle firmware is ONLY needed when you are programming the DMX Dongle PIC (microcontroller) yourself. To build the dongle you'll need to either get a pre-programmed PIC chip (from one of the forum members who does the programming for others - see the WIKI here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login), or program it yourself (see the WIKI FAQ here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - look in the PIC (micro-controller) section).

2. The easiest installation method for the FTDI driver is to use the .EXE installer, here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Note this is current as of today, 1/17/2010 - for future reference, the location should be retrieved from the WIKI, as it may be moved in the future. Download the file to your system (note where you save it). Browse to the folder you put it in (say, your desktop) and double-click on it. Follow the installation directions (answer any questions, etc), and you should be good to go. NOTE: Make sure the Dongle is NOT CONNECTED when you install the drivers. There is quite a bit of discussion relating to installation problems, uninstalling, etc. in the DMX Dongle section of the forum: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. See, especially, the "Problem with new dongle" thread here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

3. Express... Hopefully you're part of the current coop.

Hope this helps.

--Dave
Austin, Texas - "BubbaLand"