Author Topic: One Channel will not turn off  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Tigman009

One Channel will not turn off
« on: November 30, 2010, »
I am using the same board that I used last year that had no problems.  Now channel 5 will not turn off.  The LED for that channel is not on and tests great in the test mode.  However it will not stop giving power to the lights.  The strand I am running are mini
Green and not LED.  Any Clues??  Thanks in advance

Offline ratroder

Re: One Channel will not turn off
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, »
I had the same problem and it turned out that it was the transistor on that channel was stuck closed (allowed electricity to flow through).

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, »
Check the board and make sure that it is dry an clean.  Then you can remove the isolator for that channel and see if that channel is still giving power to the lights.  If so then it looks like the triac has failed and if not, then the isolator is not functioning properly. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Tigman009

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, »
what do you mean by isolator??

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, »
He means the 6 pin chip below the led for the channel and above the Triac ( three legged part that switcheds the power on and off)

Remove the 6 pin chip and see if the chanel goes off. If not likely the Triac got damaged.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, »
Guys,

I am seeing this some and not sure what is happening. First off, is there a way to just "reset" and LE? I know we can do this with an LOR unit.

The channels I have seen on, at some point seem to go off and behave normally. Initially I tried to remove the isolator as described here, abd the channel stayed on, indicating possibly a blown triac. But later, before I swapped out the unit or re-assigned the channel, it then was working properly. I am not sure what causes this, but another channel on another LE started this behavior. Right now I have it powered off and will plug it in just before the show tonight.
I have the CLAP - Christmas Light Addiction Problem - Do you?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
LOR - Lynx - Sandevice - J1Sys - Madrix - Advatek
~ Christmas is not a time, it's a state of mind ~

Offline meman

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, »
Thought I hit a home run with 96 trouble free channels my first year out, but I had this same problem with one of my boards today. I'm so far behind, I just made sure all the boards passed the test and didn't get to verify functionality of each and every channel before setup time. Symptoms are channel 14 gets full power the instant you plug the board in and stays that way.

Pulled the isolator as advised, still full power. Pulled the board from the case to make sure there weren't any solder bridges, etc. Considered rooftop surgery, but thank God it's the one board I have a spare channel on. I'll just do some quick cut and paste of that channel in the sequence and deal with it later.

[update] Turns out that this was a channel I shorted out by accident...so human error to blame here.

Mike E.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, by meman »

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, »
I am seeing this also. I now have 4 bad triacs, 1 is my fault, but the others i am not sure, because all they have are 1 strand of LEDS on them. They seem to be stuck on like a bad triac. One is from a board that i used last year with no problem? not sure if we got some bad triacs or the Cold is the problem?

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, »
I think last nights problem was watching a triac starting to fail.

Will know more soon, but do not have the cold weather problem.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login