Author Topic: wattage capacity of board & double-120v connections?  (Read 2315 times)

Offline mmorlan62

Hi RJ,

Happy 2012 and thanks for everything you give to the community.

My first post since my intro.  Some questions about specs:

I have a background as a film gaffer and regularly power 2kW+ instruments from portable generators and breaker box tie-ins.  Is your 20AMP-per-side rating a limit of the board or of the typical household circuits that are expected to supply it?  What is the absolute wattage rating of the Express if I can deliver sufficient current via properly gauged wire and breakers?

Must one ensure they are drawing the two 120VAC inputs from the same 120V leg of the single-phase house power or is it okay to draw from either leg, resulting in a 240VAC potential on the board?  (Of course, being able to patch into opposing legs helps keep the house system balanced.)

Is the upper limit of each channel 4AMPS?  May I swap the triacs for a higher rating?

Thanks,

Michael
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, by mmorlan62 »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: wattage capacity of board & double-120v connections?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, »
More amps will most likely will start melting the traces on the pcb

The Lynx hardware is mode for residential lighting and not commercial equipment.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, »
Hmm... The triacs themselves are rated for 6 amps max.  The manual does state 4 however so that is what I would go by and is probably the safe operating maximum.  I checked this out as I, and I think everyone else are using output cords rated for 13 amps which are fine, but overkill.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, »
No they can not. I think it sounds like you might be needing stuff for commerical at that current level so since the units are not designed for it and user agreement to join says the Lynx equipment can not be used that way I would recommend looking into commerical equipment.

The Lynx stuff is just for DIY people to put shows on in their yard for their entertainment and education. It is not intended to be a cheap alternative to commerical equipment.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, »
It is ok to plug the two sides of an LE into opposite legs of 240v power as the zero cross timing is the same.  You would have problems if you are on 3-phase power (some large apartment buildings pass out two legs of 3-phase per apartment, 208v between legs)

Just make sure you don't have the jumpers between the two halves of the LE (the single power cord mod) before adding a second power cord.
/mike

Offline mmorlan62

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, »
Rick - I expected there would be some limit on the PCB traces.  Noted.  Thanks.

Mike - Thanks for the three-phase insight.  I'll watch out for that.

RJ - You're absolutely right.  I'm playing in both pro and hobby spaces here hence my consideration of the Express.  Of course, I just rent the commercial gear when I have a pro gig needing such amperage levels.  It's not unusual for me to book a Strand CD80 dimmer pack, DMX control surface, portable 80kW generator, and set distro for a gig.

I'm comparing the Express against low-end dimmer packs like the Elation DP-415 with its meager 4 channels of 5AMP output.  The Elation simply can't compete with the Express in this space.

From what I gather, I could run 500w loads on one or more channels as long as I'm not exceeding the overall rating of the system.  I own cine lighting instruments from 200w to 2000w.  One sweet spot for a DIY show might be the 650w fresnel common on film sets.  That could just fit on a channel, I suppose.

Looks like I just missed an Express CoOp.  Damn.  I'll definitely buy one the next time.

Thanks,

Michael
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, by mmorlan62 »

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, »
I would check out the Light-O-Rama LOR1602W.  This is a commercial workhorse UL listed controller with large heat sinks mounted in a large metal case.  If you are doing any work in an indoor space or with people around this is the only controller of this type I would consider.

Offline mmorlan62

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would check out the Light-O-Rama LOR1602W.  This is a commercial workhorse UL listed controller with large heat sinks mounted in a large metal case.  If you are doing any work in an indoor space or with people around this is the only controller of this type I would consider.

Well, now, there you go.  UL listing is always a good thing.  I love building my own kit but, as you note, it's not a good idea to take the Express into scenarios where life could be at risk.  Thanks.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, »
LOR also sells kits that are also I beleive UL listed along with options that can increase their current carrying capability.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving