Author Topic: Is it possible to?  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Is it possible to?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I got the hardware going and the software seems to work.
I will be working on the the software now for next year.

Missed this year. But time to moved on for next year.

But I can't leave it alone without bumping up a little.
I know insane.

I was thinking on controlling six horses by wireless.
All part of the whole.

But that would be cool.

Just feeding two smart strings each horse. Trying to keep the cost down to get more people to participate.

I see what your saying. Us DMX for the other horses. Will that look funny with one horse with RGB lights?
I think it may look none uniform.
The only thing that would look different  is quantity and/or granularity of lights.
I mention in another thread that there is a DMX decoder from Ray Wu that uses DMX protocol to drive the same RGB lights.  You are limited to 512 channels (170 pixels).  But you could mirror the channels with multiple decoders and have multiple strings on the same horse, and the same mirrored on other horses.
If you needed more channels, then you could use more SS active hubs to each have their own 512-channel pages.  Since there are only 3 TX/RX channels available, you could have at most 3 SS Active hubs, each with its own TX unit transmitting on a different wireless channel for a total of 1536 DMX channels (or 510 unique pixels) for your posse.

Yet another (better) idea is to use EtDs with Slave units on 4 of the horses, and a EtD with conductor on the lead horse.  There are different (store-bought) wireless modules that are used to coordinate the show between all.  With this approach you get 16,384 unique channels to spread and share among all 5 (or 500 horses)!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, »
Two strings of 128 nodes is 768 channels. Times 6 horses is 4608 channels.

Using the ETD/conductor with two smart strings
Each horse owner would have to spend 300 dollars and that is without sound.
I could use my horse for the sound.
Not sure if I can get people to go for that?
Times are hard.

I could go one smart string per horse. Not as good but may make it easier.

384 total channels on one horse. 2304 channels on all horses.

I could split the the 512 by 3 and get 170 channels split that in 2. That would be 85 nodes for each side of the horses. Use the active hub with 6 wireless units out of each out put. But

Or can mirror each horse. Not as cool but if that's all I can do.

Or use the DMX for the other horses and try to make the visual work that way.

If I use only 170 nodes. That would keep it under 512 channels. That would be 85 nodes per side of the horses.
Use the active hub connect six wireless units to the active hub. If I can separate the wireless signals to all the horses. I think that may work.

What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, »
What might be more reasonable would be to have a single 100 pixel strings for each horse then do a custom program on a smart string so it does a particular sequence over and over once twelve volts is applied (Similar to how the Smart String test program works except a continues sequence) Then you would jus tbe looking at 1 Pixel string, one Smart String controller and a 12 volt power source per horse (Plus the cost of having someone create the program (hex file) for the Smart String... 
Jeff Squires

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, »

The question would be can I send pixelnet threw a wireless system
if I keep each universe under  512 channels?

What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline rm357

Is it possible to?
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, »
Anything is possible, just not with the current hardware that we have available.

DMX and pixelnet are not compatible. Data has to be converted from one format to the other.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA