Author Topic: Square Metal backed pixels (with 4 LEDs) showing charred areas  (Read 1702 times)

Offline JonB256

• My website
I have 250 of these Ray Wu supplied square modules. They used to have 3 LEDs per square, then they had 4 LEDs, now he shows them with 3 LEDs again. I bought 280 of the 4 LED style.

Been running a show every night since December 1st. A few nights ago (Dec 27th) I had a section lock onto Blue. It was very cold (for Texas) and it returned to normal later. Didn't think much of it since it "healed itself." Last night, I had many more odd behaviors. Since these are all on the roof and it was dark, I didn't look until today. What I saw a few minutes ago was not good. On most (over 50%) of the square pixels, there is charring of the coating over one of the surface mount resistors (R6). On the ones acting very badly, the charring seems deeper, actually into the resistor. R6 and C1 are right next to each other and C1 appears affected on some.

I have sent a note to Ray Wu describing the damage. I'm certainly not going to get another season out of these.

These pixels are powered by an ATX power supply. The voltmeter says 11.95vdc

Anyone else using the 4 LED version seen anything like this?  I'll follow up with a picture and any feedback I get from Ray Wu.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
is the waterproof coating covering that area well on the squares?  it sounds like water might have gotten into them.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline JonB256

• My website
The resistors and capacitors were all well covered. Some of the TM1804 chips had portions of their plastic casing uncovered, but all the parts in question (surface mount resistors) were covered.

Picture attached now. R6 and CI are just to the left of the center hole. I think this is a case of 4 LEDs drawing too much current for the power rating of the resistors.

This is a "good" pixel picture. I'll try to get a burned looking one tomorrow.

Offline rm357

I'm not sure the resin coating can be relied on to keep the metal backed nodes water tight. I used some of the rigid strips in 2011 and had some trouble with one of the strips. After having a couple of months to dry out, it now works fine...

I'm planning to build an enclosure before putting them out in the weather again.

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline JonB256

• My website
Now for the gory pictures.  I'm beginning to see a big advantage to actually killing the power (12vdc) to the strings if they might get wet. This corrosion looks Galvanic to me. They are on the slant of my roof but not a very steep slant. The worst corrosion is on the downhill side where water sits for a while. I did NOT apply CorrosionX to each pixel. yet.  IP68 rated pixels should not do this.

These pixels are still "mostly" working. They pass on the signal just fine, but the bottom 2 LEDs are not quite color accurate any more. You can see that they are still glowing with no Data applied.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, by JonB256 »

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
The IC is fried also.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JonB256

• My website
I know it looks fried but they are working right now. A few odd colors but only I seem to notice.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Offline caretaker

That is exactly why I shut all power off to my show when it is over. When I turn power back on I can immediately see if if there is a problem.  Hope you don't have any other issues with those strings.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Cycling power to my display is like a form of vandalism. :)

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
Where are these burnt pixels located in the strings? 

Are they close to the beginning of the string where DC power is injected?

Offline JonB256

• My website
Dennis, they are randomly distributed. The more I looked at them, the more I've decided that they are "water" and perhaps "freezing water" damage.

I had ZERO problems for the first 3 weeks of show time. It didn't rain once. Perhaps some dew or frost.
Temperatures ranged from 70F down to 20F. The damage that I see is primarily on the "downhill" side of the pixels where rain water catches in the metal lip. The pictures above were from the right-hand side of my roof and the picture is oriented as you would see it from the street.

The pixels going across the roof show more damage on their downhill side. All it may have taken is a little water intrusion, then a freeze enlarging the gap, then more water. In the presence of 12vdc and with the ground wire right next to it, being powered 24/7, I think galvanic corrosion occurred. Not seeing similar corrosion on the blue Data wire.

I think these pixels would be fine if used vertically to allow immediate drainage. Sustained rain water (relatively conductive) on the surface of a nearly level pixel is not good. If the coating were perhaps twice as thick, or the metal square edge were not so high to hold water, my luck would have been better.

I am talking with Ray Wu about this now. These pixels were absolutely beautiful in action. Pixelnet and my Active Hub on the roof were flawless. But, without some improvement somewhere, I may be asking for similar results next year.

My choices are:
  • Removing the 12vdc any time the pixels are wet (I'm not always going to be home)
  • Adding my own coating to the pixel surface (better IP68 and water runoff, perhaps CorrosionX?)
  • Custom order from Ray with a thicker coating
  • Using compressed air to blow the pixels dry after it rains (on a wet roof? not a good idea)
  • Finding a different pixel. How have the plastic rectangles been doing?
  • I'm open to other suggestions

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
When you get them down, take some time to look at the condition of the assemblies before contacting Ray.

If you can get some kind of microscope and check for your water intrusion idea or anything else, this will help Ray improve the 2013 products.