Author Topic: Need help selecting nodes for Mega Tree  (Read 3128 times)

Offline youngberg1950

Need help selecting nodes for Mega Tree
« on: January 03, 2013, »
I want to build a Mega Tree for 2013.  I have run into a bit of a debate as to how I want to build it.  I want to use this shape/style of node (PLEASE don't flame me as I am NOT asking for a new firmware to support ws2811):
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

But I have not found that in a supported protocol.  I want to base my tree off of Walter Monkhouse's color motions tree. I think I like how this style would lay on the strapping better.

Have any of you found something like this?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Need help selecting nodes for Mega Tree
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, »
I agree with the desired approach to have flat backs on the pixels.
Maybe we can get Ray Wu to offer this format for the currently supported chip set.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, »
Now there's an idea. Maybe some emails to him will help the cause
Sebastian from California

Offline youngberg1950

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, »
Pardon my lack of knowledge... does anyone know how to contact him and what protocols are supported. I think its TM1804 TM1809 and TM1812?? I would hate to contact him with the wrong info and really mess things up.

Offline JDM1oc

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, »
I contacted Ray about this back in May and this was his reply:

"if the order can be more than 5000pcs, then i can make a new pcb for it,and need about 3 weeks.
thanks and best regards
Ray"

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, »
Pardon my lack of knowledge... does anyone know how to contact him and what protocols are supported. I think its TM1804 TM1809 and TM1812?? I would hate to contact him with the wrong info and really mess things up.

For strings it would be the TM1804.

Offline sebjsan

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, »
Jdm, did he mean per order or just to get him started. Because I would buy around 1800.

Offline JDM1oc

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, »
Jdm, did he mean per order or just to get him started. Because I would buy around 1800.

I think he meant to get started with the new pcb.  It may be worth contacting him again if there is enough interest in using the 1804 chip in this form factor.

Josh

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, »
I have thought about creating a multi-protocol controller that would allow the user to choose which one to use based on there IC. I also requested some examples from some suppliers in china but they say they will give some samples with your first order.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline sebjsan

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, »

I think he meant to get started with the new pcb.  It may be worth contacting him again if there is enough interest in using the 1804 chip in this form factor.

Josh

Than i would definelty think that alot of people here would like the 1804 chip in these nodes. Easier to mount facing forward. It is used alot on other systems with nice effect, but i for one want all my Gear to be run by RJ's equipment.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, »

If anyone wants to leverage my wording, here is what I will send:

Ray [You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login]

Please consider offering the smart strings (compatible with RJ's existing controllers) in a new form factor.

I would purchase 2000 pixels if you offered the 1804 chip set in the same housing seen in the product below:

Please ensure that the pixels are IP68 (or better).

BTW, there are several of us in the DLA forum interested in this offering, and they've been encouraged to write you as well.

Thanks,
Steve
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline sebjsan

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, »
Will do.

Offline rm357

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, »
The San devices e680, e681, and e682 support multiple pixel node types and use the same e1.31 Ethernet protocol if using a PC to run the show. There is always a trade off in capabilities and how they have to be deployed. I'm sure there are other options available as well.

As far as DLA goes, the only pixel types we currently sanction are those found on the wiki.
Just saying 1804 chip is not enough as you need to specify voltage and speed to make sure you get the right ones...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline rwave

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, »
I also would be interested in this form factor, should it become available and meet RJ's specifications.

Richard (from SoCal)   :)

Offline youngberg1950

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, »
The San devices e680, e681, and e682 support multiple pixel node types and use the same e1.31 Ethernet protocol if using a PC to run the show. There is always a trade off in capabilities and how they have to be deployed. I'm sure there are other options available as well.

As far as DLA goes, the only pixel types we currently sanction are those found on the wiki.
Just saying 1804 chip is not enough as you need to specify voltage and speed to make sure you get the right ones...

rm357, the e682 is the other choice that I would go with. I really like some of the features that set RJ's systems apart. If we can get Ray to build them to meet this need then it makes the choice easier for me. Of course YMMV as there is not a perfect system for every need   :)