Author Topic: Need help selecting nodes for Mega Tree  (Read 3127 times)

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: Need help selecting nodes for Mega Tree
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, »
While the E682 and the ECG-P12R are attractive options since they can drive the WS2811 chips, I have had good luck with Pixelnet and the Etherdongle.

What would it take to translate the SPI output on the single DATA line for TM1804 into WS2811? They are both 3 wire, but I notice that the WS2811 has lower color output resolution.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, »
From Ray...
Dear Steve, thanks for your mail, actually, i am developing this shape with TM1804 IC ,12V INPUT, it will come out in about 10days, i will post  it on my website then,please wait my news.thanks and best regards

yeah!!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
Need help selecting nodes for Mega Tree
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, »
Will these meet the speed and other requirements we need as mentioned above?  Great news though.
Sebastian from California

Offline zwiller

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, »
Awesome!  I was just going to post that I too was interested in some of these to help you guys out...  I wonder if he has them in dumb style?  Boy, that site is not easy to search...   ;D

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Awesome!  I was just going to post that I too was interested in some of these to help you guys out...  I wonder if he has them in dumb style?  Boy, that site is not easy to search...   ;D
dumb strips are easy.  whatever product you consider, you just need to ensure that they are 12v and have a common 12v+ connection. (ground is used on the R, G and B lines.

to find compatible strings/strips you can go to ebay, other vendors in aliexpress, etc.  Of course Ray is a known, trusted party and that goes a long way in my book.
also, consider water-proofedness.  IP68 should be used whenever possible.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline JDM1oc

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, »
From Ray...
Dear Steve, thanks for your mail, actually, i am developing this shape with TM1804 IC ,12V INPUT, it will come out in about 10days, i will post  it on my website then,please wait my news.thanks and best regards

yeah!!

Very cool!

Offline youngberg1950

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, »
From Ray...

yeah!!

Very cool!

I'm glad I asked!

Thanks for all your help guys

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, »
I want to build a Mega Tree for 2013.  I have run into a bit of a debate as to how I want to build it.  I want to use this shape/style of node (PLEASE don't flame me as I am NOT asking for a new firmware to support ws2811):

But I have not found that in a supported protocol.  I want to base my tree off of Walter Monkhouse's color motions tree. I think I like how this style would lay on the strapping better.

Have any of you found something like this?

I have found that mega trees and matrix displays look best

A) you have even spacing in both directions
B) get as many strands as you can
C) have the strand as straight as possible

For these reasons
A) I used flex strip, 1.3" between nodes. Perfectly spaced vertically
B) built a half megatee.
C) attached flex strips to 14' emt pipe.

Asa side note, each of my 20 strands has a hook on one end and an eye bolton the other. For 4th of july I will hang them from my roofline to make a vertical matrix. Animated gifs and fireworks look better on matrix than a megatree

Thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline youngberg1950

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, »
Sean,

Thanks for the advice... I cant wait to see some videos of your tree. I agree with wanting to have the pixels uniform.  I've been debating wanting to have a more traditional look of the string vs the straight line of the strips. Thats why I wanted to see if anyone had used the nodes I linked too.  I do like how easy it is for you to pull down one string if you need to do repairs. I'll watch for your vids so that I can see how yours turned out.

Thanks!