Author Topic: No Blinking lights on Express Ver 5  (Read 2490 times)

Offline ms5435

No Blinking lights on Express Ver 5
« on: September 16, 2012, »
Built the LynxExpress, 3 of them, built the EtherDongle.  Ran the on board test on the LE units all systems go.  Programmed LE with the PICkit 3 using device PIC24FJ32GA002 and HEX file LE_Firmware_09_2010.  Programmed the ED with PICkit 3 using device PIC32MX795F512L and HEX file EtherDongle_DMX.  Using Vixen 2.1.4 and where I added the plugin Lynx+EtherDongle.dll.  Created a random test sequence in Vixen for 32 channels.  Set the start address on the LE to 001.  When I run the seq. in Vixen I see the lights on the MagJack blink.  When I connect the ED to the LE the Data Link light on the LE turns on.  With the sequence running I run the onbaord LE test and 3 lights stay on at the end of the test:  ZC, DMX & Done.  I then reset and run the sequence again.  For some reason I am not getting the blinking LED lights on the LE to indicate the channel is getting turned on.  I could see if it did this on one LE, but all 3?  Open to suggestions.  Just incase...I am new to all this but have been reading, soldering, reading some more and now trying to but it all together.  Suggestions?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: No Blinking lights on Express Ver 5
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, »
Make sure the jumper is on the "remove for wireless" connector.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ms5435

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, »
Both the "Remove for Wireless" and "Terminate" jumpers are in place.  Also wanted to mention using Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit and Microsoft.Net Framework 4.0.  When I programmed the LE I verified the checksum was 6538.  One thing I did forget to mention was that when I went to program the LE the PICkit software stated "New firmware must be downloaded for PICkit3 to work with the part selected.  Click 'OK' to continue."  I had downloaded the PICkit 3 Stand Alone Programmer App software from the link for the PICkit 3 from the Software WIKI page.  (My PICkit software info:  Application Ver 1.0.0.0, Device File Ver 00.00.00, JAM Ver 01.27.15-06, RS: 01.15.03, AP: 01.12.02-01)  I click OK, the PICkit status status light goes red and it seems to do what it needs to.  The PICkit software screen reads "Writing AP 01.12.02-01...done"  The green bar is ALMOST all the way to the end, but quite does not finish and by now the PICkit status light is back to green.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, »
Did you update the Pickit 3 firmware as it asked you to do?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline ms5435

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, »
I looked under all the items up on the menu bar, did not see anything to update. Keep in mind I followed the WIKI link for the software.  I went on to the mfg. website and did not see an update firmeware link.  I have read of issues with PICkit 3 and Windows 7.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, »
You said that it said ""New firmware must be downloaded for PICkit3 to work with the part selected.  Click 'OK' to continue.". Did you do that? I have used mine with Win 7 with no problems.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, »
when you switch pic types, the pickit must change part of its firmware to know how to communicate with that type.

if you continue to update the same part over and over, you won't see this message (often).  but, if you jump back and forth between different pic types, then you'll see this message each time you swap back and forth.

it is normal, and to be expected.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline ms5435

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, »
is there a way to verify what has been written to the LE?  I know if I have a working LE, or any other device,  I can read from it then write to another unit.  What does the verify button do?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, »
after you write to the pic then you can do a read of the pic and match the checksum that is in the wiki all from the pickit utility (aka standalone) software

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, »
If the firmware on the Pickit-3 is not correct for the chip, it will NOT be able to read from another PIC to update the one that you are trying to flash.  You can update the Pickit 3 with MPLAB. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, »
Sounds like the programming is going ok?

He says it does everything but play when he runs a show. Could be just a setup issue in the software or even a bad cable/Cross over cable being used.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, »
Make sure to run the pickit utility as administrator in Windows 7 as well as that can lead to some goofy problems (on my computer at least).  At the end of the self test there should be channel 2 and 4 leds on which are ZC and Done IIRC. Channel 3 (DMX) I don't believe should stay lit. 

Not super familiar with Vixen and Etd setup, but I would make sure you have the lynx etherDongle output plugin selected.  If you have the "Lynx+etherdongle.dll" that is the pixelnet plugin.  The DMX version is named "Lynx EtherDongle.dll"  Very slight difference there.  Are you hooking the Etd straight to the computer or to a router?  A direct connection may require a cross over while connecting to a switch should not.  It has been a while since I toyed with all of this.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, by TAdamsOK »