Author Topic: Looking for MR16 or alternative please  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Heinekenator

Looking for MR16 or alternative please
« on: January 17, 2012, »
Hello.

Im looking for an MR16 (or more than one) to finally start building my display. There doesn't seem to be much interest for a coop for them, and according to RJ's thread he has no PCBs available. I'm intimidated by the thought of constructing the controller, so would prefer assembled, but would take a kit if that's all that's available.

I know its outside the spirit of DIY, and I hope I'm not out of line for asking... but with the seemingly limited availability of the MR16, would there be any alternatives that you'd recommend for controlling about 48 channels of dumb RGB strips via DMX?

Thank you in advance.

-Greg

Offline thestig

Re: Looking for MR16 or alternative please
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, »
I would look into the Sansdevices 681. It can control the dumb strips and can be purchased as a kit or fully assembled.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

goodluck

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, »
I was unaware that the E681 could control dumb strings. I thought it only controlled pixel strings. Can you confirm this. no mention of this feature in the E681 manual.

I would look into the Sansdevices 681. It can control the dumb strips and can be purchased as a kit or fully assembled.

goodluck

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, »
The E680 and E681 only control pixels.

-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline thestig

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, »
I stand corrected, thanks guys. I was reading about them off of another diy site and they mentioned using it with dumb strings. My bad. That is what I get for not researching it myself before hand.

Grant

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, »
I will have some MR16 pcbs before long. There also is a controller coming out for the SS stuff that will be just like a SSC's and plugs into the SS equipment to work with it that runs the dumb strings.

You have to build stuff here we do not sell pre made stuff (as much as I am asked for it). But once you assemble something you will never look back.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Heinekenator

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, »
Thank you for the quick replies.

RJ, if I am understanding you correctly, you will soon have a controller for dumb strings that works with your smart string stuff? In your opinion is it then more sensible for someone starting out to go the SS route instead of the MR16 even for dumb strings?

Thank you.

-Greg

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, »
I will have some MR16 pcbs before long. There also is a controller coming out for the SS stuff that will be just like a SSC's and plugs into the SS equipment to work with it that runs the dumb strings.

You have to build stuff here we do not sell pre made stuff (as much as I am asked for it). But once you assemble something you will never look back.

RJ

Awesome news on the DSC? dumb string controller!  Perfect addition to lynx lineup. <;d
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, »
Ray does offer a 27CH dmx controller.....expensive shipping, but pretty reliable.

I have used these when I missed out on all the MR16 coops (not complaining....happy face :)), but the there is a wide selection of projects offered throughout the year here to keep you and your soldering iron occupied
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, »
Ray does offer a 27CH dmx controller.....expensive shipping, but pretty reliable.

That would be a much better controller (for us) if it didn't have those stupid DMX round connectors.
Now, if someone made an RJ45 jack with the same footprint/pinout as those DIN jacks, I'd be very happy.  <res.

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, »
What we did was buy a boat load (200+) of these and unsoldered the XLR connectors.
 We then epoxied 2 of the connectors upside down (pins up) where the XLR used to be, then ran short jumpers to the data(+) and (-) and power down to the phoenix connector on the left.

I wish I took pictures of our boards BEFORE I enclosed and sealed them.
I'll try to get some soon

here is a link for 50 of them

pm me and I'll send you what I have for instructions, or if you wish, for me to convert these for you....(shipping costs only)

I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)