Author Topic: Other DC Controllers  (Read 3518 times)

Offline mmais68569

Other DC Controllers
« on: December 05, 2013, »
I am looking for other DC controllers that will work with the Lynx Dongle using DMX signal. I have 3 MR-16's but noway can I get the start channel to set so looking for alternatives. Looking for 16 ch or more controllers.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, by mmais68569 »

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: Other DC Controllers
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, »
What process did you use to try and set the MR16s address.

It is a VERY finicky controller to get the start address set. I have quite a few of them and well understand your frustration.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, »
You can set the address when you flash the firmware if it is easier for you. I am not where I can see the code to tell you what memory address it is but I know I posted it at one time. Make sure you do not have lights attached to it, that you have a good strong power hooked to it. then program it as outlined and it should work. IT can be sensitive to low voltage since it is writing to its internal memory when you do this.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, »
The second process about transmitting and then turning on the power has worked 100% for me. Method 1 never worked.

Frank

Offline dcwehw99

• Beta Tester
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, »
The starting channel address in the firmware is "A00".  It's a two byte address.  Some examples of starting addresses are:

Start Address            Value
1                              0001
17                            0011
33                            0021
49                            0031
65                            0041
81                            0051
97                            0061
113                          0071
129                          0081
145                          0091
  .                               .

Denny                         

Offline zwiller

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, »
Sell the MR16s and get some of these: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  >:D

Trust me, if I can do it, you can.  Hang in there you'll get it!  Once you do it's rock solid. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, »
Really?

So on our diy board our response is to send people to commercial vendors?

Sent from my Charge by Tapatalk

RJ

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, »
Sorry RJ, I was kidding. <fp. 

The MR16 handles far more amps than the 27 channel controller.  The fine print: 27 channel controller does 1.5A per channel but ONLY 15A TOTAL. 

PS - Any chance pcbs will be in the store before season end? 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, »
I had not ordered any since I saw a number for sale and had not been asked for any since we ran out.

RJ

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, »
There is a demand for the MR 16. I would grab them soon. I changed my mind this year and now wish I had not.  They are great for many of the dumb RGB with higher current needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, »
Perhaps a poll for desired boards should be put up to see if there is any and how much of a demand exists for some of these older boards.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, »
Here is the thread that details setting the start address when programming the pic. I did it this way after spending a LOT of time trying the conventional method. Having said that, I did have lights hooked up to it when trying to program, so that could have been the problem.

I have 8 MR 16's in my show and they all work flawlessly.

I cant wait until the coop for the MR 64's!  ;)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zwiller

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, »
I like the poll idea. 

Myself, I plan to use around 4 of these setup for low power CC for 1W raw leds for strobes.  Might use 2 more for use for 10W RGB spots with 4 core connectors. 

Since "older boards" was brought up... Now I have no ideas of the work involved or RJs schedule but would it might prudent to take a look at a pixelnet DC design?  (entering Christmas Dreamland)  How about a pixelnet DC board with new connectors?  Certainly I can make the existing board work but I suspect alot of guys are heading like me to 100% rgb and for the most part this means pixelnet...  While we're still in Dreamland...  Pixelnet firmware for the aether...     

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, »
Speaking for myself, and entering "dreamland", I think there is still a great demand for dumb dc boards. I like having channel counts that I can still wrap my feeble little mind around.  ;D

Offline tbone321

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, »
I have no problem with the older equipment remaining DMX.  In my conversations with RJ, he said that he wanted to use a protocol that was a standard to give people more choice in the mix of equipment that they use and that is still a valid point.  Moving everything to PixelNet (I had the same idea not all that long ago) would eliminate that flexability and we would be another propriety device set, much like Renard.  The wiring between DMX and PixelNet is also different which can add another layer of issues with going that way.  There were plans to create a standalone PixelNet to DMX converter but IMHO, the design talked about would pretty much render it useless. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving