Author Topic: Other DC Controllers  (Read 3519 times)

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: Other DC Controllers
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
for the Active Hub, if you wanted 2 dmx universe, to be the first 1024 channels.
you use 2 active hubs
both set to pixelnet universe 1 (channels 1 - 4096)

active hub #1 set to DMX universe #1 (channels 1-512)
active hub #2 set to DMX universe #2 (channels 513-1024)

I tried that and it didn't work. That is when I was told you had to start the DMX at universe 1 which virtually eliminates using any other of the universe selections. Now if you have it working that way then there have been a firmware update to the etherdongle that I am not aware of.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2013, »
for the Active Hub, if you wanted 2 dmx universe, to be the first 1024 channels.
you use 2 active hubs
both set to pixelnet universe 1 (channels 1 - 4096)

active hub #1 set to DMX universe #1 (channels 1-512)
active hub #2 set to DMX universe #2 (channels 513-1024)

I tried that and it didn't work. That is when I was told you had to start the DMX at universe 1 which virtually eliminates using any other of the universe selections. Now if you have it working that way then there have been a firmware update to the etherdongle that I am not aware of.

I just want to be sure that you are aware that ALL DMX universes are from 1 to 512, regardless of the sequencer channel number.  In the sequences, the channel number could be 513, and on the hub, that would be set to PixelNet universe 1 and the DMX converter set to universe 2 but the DMX device would be set to channel 1.  This will be no different with these new converters.  The reason that we suggest always using universe 1 is that this way, both the logical and physical channel numbers are the same which makes it MUCH easier to address the DMX hardware. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2013, »
Yep they are all 1 - 512 but when you set the DMX jumpers on the hub to anything other than 1 i.e. breaking out a DMX universe from a Pixelnet universe did not work for my original design. I had 2 smart hubs originally both assigned to Pixelnet universe 1 with my DMX universe 1 coming off of hub 1 and my second DMX universe coming off hub 2 with the DMX jumper at the DMX position 2. The DMX data was not coming out correctly. I informed RJ about this and was informed at that time the problem would be addressed in the future. I just restructured my show so that each of my DMX universes was coming from 2 different Pixelnet universes beginning at the first block of the Pixelnet.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2013, »
Yep they are all 1 - 512 but when you set the DMX jumpers on the hub to anything other than 1 i.e. breaking out a DMX universe from a Pixelnet universe did not work for my original design. I had 2 smart hubs originally both assigned to Pixelnet universe 1 with my DMX universe 1 coming off of hub 1 and my second DMX universe coming off hub 2 with the DMX jumper at the DMX position 2. The DMX data was not coming out correctly. I informed RJ about this and was informed at that time the problem would be addressed in the future. I just restructured my show so that each of my DMX universes was coming from 2 different Pixelnet universes beginning at the first block of the Pixelnet.

Thanks for the information.  I was unaware of this issue and sice I doubt that I would ever exceed a full universe of DMX equipment, I doubt that I would ever run into that issue.  If this new converter has resolved this issue, I would guess that the code could be easily adapted to the converter on the hub.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2013, »
Is there a technical reason why there is no pixelnet universe selector on the convertor?  That seems rather odd to me and a serious limitation.  Not even interested in one now.

I would have to defer to the designer einstein2883 on that question.  I think that the additional PCB holes and a set of jumpers could be installed without making it too much bigger.  The current version is similar in size to a SSC.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2013, »

Thanks for the information.  I was unaware of this issue and sice I doubt that I would ever exceed a full universe of DMX equipment, I doubt that I would ever run into that issue.  If this new converter has resolved this issue, I would guess that the code could be easily adapted to the converter on the hub.

I have 2 DMX universes because one of my elements is on a universe by it's self because of the large channel count to operate it and if it failed for any reason it would only impact a small portion of my total show.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2013, »
Guys, don't reply to this thread until the original poster sees this...

mmais, you can change the start address here in the programmer...

Let us know what you want to use as the start address, and we can tell you what number to change it to.

all you have to do in the programmer, is double click on the block i have highlighted, and type in the new number, but it's not decimal.

it will change the checksum of the firmware, but that's as expected, since we changed a value.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2013, »
I see where now to change it I have all the addresses up to 497 from a previous post. I will give this a try

Thanks Mike