Author Topic: Express -C what is it?  (Read 5638 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Express -C what is it?
« on: June 20, 2012, »
Well some of you may of been at the Academy and where involved in the class "Lynx past, present and future"
If you were then you know what an Express - C is and likely gave you opinion and input and have few questions.

If you were not in the class then you likely do have questions.

For many years I have been asked again and again to allow the use of the lynx equipment, primarily the Express to be used in commerical uses. The fact is it has become and issue where I keep finding out that people are doing so. The message back and forth can get heated and they always end up wit them saying "what did you expect me to do you gave me no option" and I reply "Use one of the commerical controllers is what I expected."

Others will never solder and just want to be able to use the express. They want them but are not DIYer's and just never have been able to understand why they can not just buy them.

I have always said no way and moved on. But as the years have went by there seems to be less and less reasons why not to allow this and more and more reasons why I should.

Over the years many people have appoarched me about licensing or just selling prebuilt expresses. I have always turned them down, but in the last few months I have started to reconsider my position on this.

So I started working with the idea and it has become time to make a decision. So I bought it up to the group at the Academy and let everyone have they say.

Some where against it before all the info was on the floor but I believe changed their minds as the info all got out. I left the session feeling I was being told I should do it by almost everyone in the room. If you were there and did not feel this is true please speak up.

The import things to understand before you form you opinion and post it, are these facts:

1 - The Express - C would not be offered on DLA nor would it be allowed to be advertised on here as with all other commerical operations.
2 - it would have its own site, support, ect. and would have nothing to do with DLA.
3 - I believe it would bring with it benifits to DLA. Having a big brother has its benifits.
4 - most of the parts on the Express - C are different part numbers (surface mounted) so it will not compete with us for parts for the most part.
5 - We believe it should reduce the pressure on the coops from people who are not so much DIY users but just want cost effective controllers and are hanging out waiting for coops to get them. We believe these people would just get them built.

6 - there would be a DMX dongle available also for them to purchase to run the express with from their computers. 
7 - This is all old tech for us now, This has been around for years for all of the DLA users to use so it is not like the latest and greatest.
8 - This could be a great gateway to bring people more into DIY. Once they make a small step to a DIY based design they may chance building there own. In that case they come to DLA and get into coops.

The pricing on the Express -C was being targetted very low. While not locked in I understood the target to be $89 each. the plan was to make it a very cost effective chioce for those that want to use it. It would be a for profit operation but as you can see by the price profit will not be large.

The choice has not been made, it is being bought up to the members of DLA for their opinion which I value. I then will make a choice. 

Whatever your opinion is remember to act DLA like in that everyones opinion is valuable even if it differs from yours and we must show respect to each other at all times. weither you like/dislike the idea just say so, but be respectful as always.

RJ

p.s. I had a number of members at the academy say to me that I shouldn't ask everyones opinions as it is my stuff do as I like with it. I do understand that point but I feel DLA is more a community that that, and I would like everyones opinions.     

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
Re: Express -C what is it?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, »
Since I did not get a chance to visit any classes at the Academy.

My question is:

Since this is a commercial unit, will it be UL/CSA listed?
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, »
There are a lot of DIYers that also do installations on the side. This will be a great offereing for those that do so and even those that do it only occassionally.

Will there be a case offereing as well?

Will there also be commercial accessories such as powercords and dongle cords as well like other mfgrs?

Offline deweycooter

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, »
dumbest question ever - what does the C stand for? 

my money is on cooter.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, »
C=commercial
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline urthegman

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, »
Love the idea, but I think the price point is way too low, depending on what they will be getting for $89 of course, even if it is just the working board they are getting I feel like it is too low cost for the quality of workmanship and design that RJ and others put into it. JMHO

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, »
While the intent was to keep the name express it needed to be identifed some way different. the C is for "Commercial"

As for ratings and what will be options and such this is really beyond our scope of the post. That will be business decissions to be made outside our influence.

This post is about the thoughts the members have on this. positive or negative. 

We will let the units be sold (ratings/options) elsewhere if it comes to be.

to help with what is some confusion I gather from a few pm's, There is no kits involved. It will not be listed or cooped on DLA, and so the members will not be building them. It will be sold complete tested and ready to be used. Add a case and cords.

They will be no group buys of them. It will be a totally seperate thing from us.

RJ 
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, »
As one person who attended the discussion, I did not hear a single dissent at the end of the discussion.

The idea that this could help fund some of your other activities, allow a larger inventory of PCBs for the store, could help drive down cost of shared components (like the heat sink)... is all icing on the cake and benefits all of the DLA community.

The idea that a larger community of Express users will create new opportunities for software developers and improve the overall quality and competitive environment for sequencing software -- that would be fantastic.

This is a great opportunity!!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline coachers

• Coachers
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, »
Yes, Yes, Yes!

I've thought since I got into this great group you should have a Commercial option.
May you have Good Health...
Great Wealth.....
And your stein never be empty.

Offline thestig

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, »
I say go for it and you should have done it sooner. I also think that you taking the time to ask us how we feel shows just how much you care about this community.

DLA can only grow stronger from this and you will make a little extra cash as well.

Grant

Offline animal

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, »
You need to be in control of this Rj so you can shut it down if need be. For all that you do for this comunity. This will be one way to continue and sustain this.

Thank you for all you do and good luck with this venture.
                               Animal <res.

Offline MSL

• So many lights, so little time!
    • 26streetlights
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, »
RJ,

My two cents:

I think you have designed and produced a good DIY product. If you can do the same (and I am sure you can) for commercial use go for it! It can only make DLA grow and hopefully put some jingle in your pocket.

While I do not use the Express for commercial use I have been approached to do so. I for one would like that option.

Mark
Holiday Lights in Plantation, Florida

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Our show can be seen on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, »
RJ,

While I was also not at the academy, I agree with the sentiments of many individuals on here that the product you have is yours to do with what you want.  The countless hours you devote to the DLA community is immense and this will only serve to expand the community while not excluding anyone due to their inability to try new things.  I started with DLights my first year of animation and bought a pre-built kit.  I learned of the DLA community when I started to decide which sequencer to use.  I was so upset when I learned of the cost of DIY vs. Commercial products.  While I would agree with the earlier post about the pricing being low for a commercial product, I also understand you need to make a sound business decision to be competitive in the marketplace.  I've long since given by DLight controller to my father who has given it to another light enthusiast as my father has now become a DLA enthusiast as well.  I'm excited to see the future of the Lynx equipment and all the effort you put into this community.  That's about a quarter's worth of an opinion, but I say go for it!

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, »
Go for it RJ and thank you for all that you do.  This is a win win situation for you, your family and the DLA family alike!!
- Mark

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
Express -C what is it?
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, »
Price....

Seems a little low to me. But I understand.  Some of the competitive products out there run about 20-30 points higher in price.  Your product is just as good and your feature and benefits well exceed what I have seen out there....your product support and the support of the enter group on this site.  That there is priceless.

I'm just sayin!
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."