Author Topic: Express -C what is it?  (Read 5637 times)

Offline Mimir

Re: Express -C what is it?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, »
RJ

I too think it is a good idea. I also think they are priced a little low, but that cannot hurt sales.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix2 via Tapatalk 2

Offline keitha43

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, »
I didn't give an opinion at the academy but I didn't see any downside. Go for it.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline nvizzini

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, »
RJ
Thanks for all the work. I use to be a stage lighting designer and having loads of small dimmers would have come in handy
I like the idea of a unit that could be used commercially. Go for it.

Nicholas
Wichita Falls TX
Nicholas-Foster
Houston, TX

Offline CW

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, »
RJ,
I think it is all positive and a good move on your part.
And I agree with others that the price seams too low.
I would pay more, when do you think they will be available?

Craig

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, »
I think it is a great idea as long as RJ is not spending his time building these and taking time away from us at DLA.
I know, I'm selfish.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, »
I agree with all that is being said.  At the end of the day, we have benefited from what you have designed RJ.  The Intellectual Property belongs to you, ultimately, and it is truly yours to do with what you wish.  I appreciate you asking the membership our opinions, but truthfully, we really have no say in what you do with what is rightfully and legally yours.  I do think this is a positive step for all of us.  It will open more opportunity to those who are still intimidated by the soldering iron, it will spread the costs, it will spread the name, it will drive some competitiveness into the commercial world of sequencers (which will be good for all consumers of commercial sequencing), and it will offer opportunities for some of us to use this equipment in theater and church work. 

Thank you!!!

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Express -C what is it?
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, »
RJ, I very much support your decision and greatly admire you for being the person you are.   You see the smiles you create and know that this continues that wonderful expansion of smiles across the world.  Like others, I think $99 would still be a steal, but pricing $89 is just amazing.  That's a price on the board without case or cords I'm guessing.  Thanks again for all you do for us.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bassmants

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, »
Sounds exciting!  Go for it. 

Offline jess_her

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, »
make a margin to help support RD and other hidden expenses for DIY
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, »
My only reservation would be concern for RJ with respect to liability.  As part of this fantastic DIY community, we all take personal responsibility for how we use (or misuse :P ) this equipment.  The same can't be said for the general public.  I think it would be a great idea to create a commercial version but I would be horrified if someone did something stupid and tried to go after RJ.  However, I'm assuming there would be some legalese that will be used to protect RJ from this kind of abuse.     

But barring my paranoid tendencies, it is an exciting idea and one that I would like to see happen.

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, »
I'm almost wondering if there should be another option - one with a case, 1-15 (or 5-15) outlets, and XLR inputs.  This would be a nice turnkey option for the theatricall folks (and some competition for Doug Fleenor :-)
That would help with the liability issues as end-users wouldn't be opening the case and touching things they shouldn't.

/mike

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, »
At first I thought it should have cables and box, and then I saw value in selling without.

Selling without allows the lower price and encourages customer-driven flexibility.  If the customer wants to mount them on a wall of a garage/shed... or use a larger box... or whatever.  They don't need to pay for a box that they toss aside.  Include a box and someone will also want mounting stakes and other options. 

The same for cables... if someone wants light-duty cords for their LED strings, heavy-duty for incans, long runs with SPT2 green. or some of that 20-conductor stuff... they are free to get what they need and not pay for the other.

It also provides bundling options for resellers.  If ACME Christmas lighting wants to assemble a turnkey unit and sell it for a mark-up price, they have that option.

Word of mouth will be "an $89 high-end controller?  wow!"
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, »
Sounds like a good idea. i think RJ should get a kickback on each deal for its all his work.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, »
Sounds like a good idea. I think RJ should get a kickback on each deal for its all his work.

I feel the same way! ;D
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, »
Great idea and I'm sure it will be successful whatever you decide.  I believe commercial options should be considerate of the requisite safety required (for self preservation).
R,
Tony "C"