Author Topic: Express -C what is it?  (Read 5639 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: Express -C what is it?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, »
RJ, On our end I see no downside to it (except your time commitment). Wait do you have any time?  ;) I am amazed at the things that you do and can accomplish. Going commercial is a totally different "ball of wax" so to speak. To me going commercial is totally your decision and pricing is yours too. I am sure that you will CYA, you always do. Good luck with your new product line!

BTW I thought that the "C" was for Christmas!  ;)  >:D

Offline lortiz

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, »
Hi,

Please GO FOR IT! You MUST benefit from your great designs.  <res.

I've been also approached many times about commercial installations and so far I've declined because the Lynx equipment agreement and sent the people to the other DIY site where equipment can be used for such purposes.

If the Express goes commercial then I'll definitively reconsider my position about this. I just can't see myself using other products other than Lynx.

Leo
Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, »
+1
R,
Tony "C"

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
Express -C what is it?
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, »
RJ
I have to agree with what appears to be the majority opinion.  I can only see upsides to this decision to create a commercial version of the Express. 

My only question is about the light curves - Will support for the database be shared or separated?

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline Pete

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, »
Go For It RJ!

Offline charles59

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, »
I wouldn't understand why not to license it, but that is of course a personal decision. 

The only thought I would have, is that expectations will be higher if a commercial product. There are few behavior things with the express that might want to be addressed (or perhaps the literature be more specific).  For instance, the express currently does not let the top few channels be programmed for the light curve values.  The dongle is seems to require a full universe written to it every time (which is not exactly entec pro consistent). The start code value field is not used.  None of these are issues for a DIY, but if commercial, I would expect those items to be addressed, or documented clearly.

But clearly, the LE is a nice product, no reason not to make it available.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, »
I think my comment on commerical is being looked at differently than intended. It is being target to people like who use them now. It is just allowed to be used in setting we do not allow the DLA stuff to be used in and does not require assembly. 

There is no attempt to target large stage shows ect, I am sorry if that is the impression I have given. 

Thanks for all of the input, it is clear to me that members feel it is not a bad idea. We will look at moving ahead.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2012, »
So this could be an idea for the ones that wanted to use a dimmer in small low/no budget situations like a small church or community theatre?

would the enclosure come with the device then, or would someone still have to obtain the enclosure?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2012, »
I really do not have information on all of that kind of stuff yet. We will have to wait to see, I am sure this is many many months away as there is much to do and I did not say yes till yesterday.

So we shall see what comes of it. watch for it to be advertised at places like Planet Christmas as it will not be on DLA.

I am going to lock the thread at this point it has filled it need and I got the info I needed.  I don't want it to be a on going thread that turns into almost an advertisment so this will end it.

Thanks everyone for putting your opinions in.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying