Author Topic: Introduction to Smart Strings  (Read 3623 times)

Offline tbone321

Re: Introduction to Smart Strings
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, »
You have to be carefull using tape to attempt to seal them.  It usually doesn't work all that well.  In many cases, it really just serves to trap the water in the connector. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This year, I am going to ensure the pigtails stay dry.

What do you have planned (or others on the board reading this) to do to keep pigtails dry? I'm not using smart strings, but I do have some RJ45 couplers for the alarm loop to keep my equipment from "walking away". I used a electrical tape wrap to tape them up, but after unwrapping them at the end of the season, most of them were moist inside.

You can also use press n seal and that saved me last year. Just cut small strips of PnS and wrap it around the connection. It seemed to keep the moisture out just like it does in the refrigarator to protect food.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, »
Is there a bulk source for Press N Seal around?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, »
I just get it from WalMart or Kroger. It can be found in the section where there is other plastic and alumnium wrapping materials.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, »
In regards to No-Alox while it is meant for Aluminum connections it is a anti-oxidizer so it should work fine with the pigtails connections.  There is also other spays, compounds that work well for keeping moisture out including Corrosion X and CRC Heavy Duty corrosion inhibitor.   
Jeff Squires