Author Topic: Power requrements  (Read 4656 times)

Offline mtxrooster

Power requrements
« on: January 31, 2011, »
Hey all :)  As I shop around the forums absorbing info like a sponge, I got curious..  I was reading on the recently closed Lynx Express area that it takes 12V@20amps to power a full set of 16 that it supports.  Assuming each length of lights plugged into each of the 16 ports draws it max amps, made me think.  Man..  I'm sure many of you if not all(??) are running FAR more than 16 channels.. 

Did you have to hire a contractor to run more breakers and outlets on your houses?  Most houses in my area only have 1, 2 at most separate lines for outside/landscape outlets.  Now clearly a plug to using LED lights (of which I currently have none, rofl) over incandescents (mini or otherwise!).

Offline CaptKirk

Re: Power requrements
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, »
Damn the smoking breakers-  full blinky ahead!!! <md..

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, by CaptKirk »
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."

Offline caretaker

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, »
When I started my show in 2006 I had 96 channels of D-Light AC8's and about 20,000 lights. I use a 100 amp panel that is mounted on a hand cart and has 6 20 amp circuits and 2 15 amp circuits connected to GFI's mounted on the same board as the panel. The panel has a 25 foot 4-4 SJO cord which plugs into a 60 amp range plug I have mounted under my porch.  Now I have seen other displays that have had separate 200 amp panels put in just for the displays.  With more and more people going to LED lights the power requirements have come down but yes you may need to hire a electrical contractor to add some circuits for your blinkies or DIY if you are handy working with tools and are willing to do some research on installing a circuit in a house.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, »
Did you have to hire a contractor to run more breakers and outlets on your houses?  Most houses in my area only have 1, 2 at most separate lines for outside/landscape outlets.  Now clearly a plug to using LED lights (of which I currently have none, rofl) over incandescents (mini or otherwise!).

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: In the bad old days (i.e.: 2007), when LEDs cost an arm-and-a-leg, you pretty much had to use incandescent lights, which meant that you pretty much had to bring in new circuits somehow.

(I actually had the foresight to add a 400-amp panel to the house when we bought it in 2000, because I wanted clean power in my home office and had a couple of extra circuits pulled around the house for the air conditioners I thought we'd need. I was wrong about the air but right about the circuits, so this hobby hasn't cost me anything in terms of hiring electricians.)

Nowadays, though, with the relative low cost of LEDs -- and depending upon the size of your display -- it's sometimes just cheaper to buy LEDs and use existing circuits than it is to bring in the electrician.

But if you decide you do need new circuits, be certain to hire a certified electrician and not have your Cousin Eddy do it because he once read a book on how to wire a home.

HTH.

\dmc

Offline tmtfield

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, »

This being my first year with this type of display, I had the same questions on power loads. I only have 3 outside outlets divided between two 15 amp circuits. To be sure that I was going to be OK, I ran the entire display in my basement on a single 10 amp power strip (basic computer power strip). I ran it for hours on this powerstrip without the breaker tripping even once. I even ramped all channels to full intensity for a long period of time to simulate the maximum load, and still no problems.

My display consisted of 72 channels, 85 strings of LED (70count ea), 15 strings of incans (100 count ea), and two incan flood lights. With all of this running all month, my electric bill was only $50 more over the previous month. That does not include all of the extra cleaning and cooking.

Hope that helps
Tim
Debating with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead

Tim

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, »
That 20A/ @12VDC equates to 2A @120V give or take... and again, full load (all on...extra bright) usually doesnt happen, unless you like to watch the meter disc accelerate (old meter, I know). My First "big show" will be 2011 at a calculated 31.7A total full on.

Adding outlets can be done, but use extreme caution in the panel. If you are even a little nervous, play it safe and hire a licensed/insured electrician. More likely than not, you may corrupt another one of us into the addictive world of blinky blinky.........I'm just saying.
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)

Offline mtxrooster

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, »
Thanks for all your input fellas, greatly appreciated!  I can't wait to start sinkin' my teeth into this :)

Offline rm357

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, »
The express runs at 120v AC with standard (at least in the US) plug-in style stings of lights or LEDs. Light strings vary by length and brand - My Mega-tree with 32 channes of 50 mini-lights + 105 light star and stobes pulled just a little less than 5 amps at 100%. All 5135 mini-lights together came in right around 15 amps. My mini-lights were primarily of a high efficiency type.

A single C9 draws twice as much current as one of my stings of 50 mini-lights...

The Smart Strings and the MR16 are 12 volt systems, which require a 12 volt power supply to convert the 120v AC to 12v DC.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, »
Thanks for all your input fellas, greatly appreciated!  I can't wait to start sinkin' my teeth into this :)

Just a word of caution,... I had a subpanel installed with 6 15A breakers with GFI to handle the six circuits for my PDU (Power Distribution Unit) I was really happy with the way it turned out but upon consultation realized what the little project in my head would cost.... $700.00    <yk..

Needless to say if I move,... I'll be pulling it out and taking it with me/ plugging some holes.    ;D

Leon
Leon

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, »
.... on the recently closed Lynx Express area that it takes 12V@20amps to power a full set of 16 that it supports....

Just so we're clear and to avoid any confusion, are you referring to the Smart String Hub or the Lynx Express?  12V@20A does not compute if you're talking LE.

The actual Smart String Power Requirements are in the Wiki You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (downloadable as a PDF.)

Similarly, there is a Power Information section of the Lynx Express Manual in the Wiki:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

FWIW, my entire display (with 100% LED lighting) - 6 Original Lynx, an MR16 ATX Power Supply, and 8 Lynx Expresses - plugs into 2, yes TWO, 20A outlets.

Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline magic8192

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, »
I still use mostly incandescent lights and I put in a temporary 200 amp power pole to power the lights.  I turn it on in November and Turn it off at the end of January.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, »
I've got (10) 20a GFCI and (6) 15a GFCI outdoor outlets installed ... running almost 100% incan. minis and C9's.

Probably around 20 +- or so is about all most people with 200a service can handle.

I did notice I"m around 120-135a peak (incl. house stuff going) .... using a ted5000 to monitor usage.

Most of my controllers are no where near their capacity ... and in fact 80% of my 30a/120v LOR controllers are
serviced with a single 15A cord, because the overall power used is 13A or less (total).

If I was using 12V DC or more LED(s) ... power use would be way less.  That the general direction I'll have to
go after 2011.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline CB

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, »
I work in commercial construction and after a year of blowing breakers myself in the incan days I had one of my electricians come over and look at my setup.  Luckily he was smarter than me and came up with the idea of disconnecting each of my AC units from their exterior disconnects and then we made a panel with some GFI outlets on them and connected them to the disconnects, since I am not using them during the winter months here in the midwest.  It has worked wonderfully.  Luckily all three of my units are located next to one another so even running dual power to some of the units I have currently is possible.  2011 will be my first year using Lynx equipment but none the less replacing my current controllers with them should be of no significant ill effect.

After he helped me I noticed that anyone with a little technical know how can do the same using off the shelf items at most home improvement stores.

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, »
Excellent tip about the air-con compressor circuit.  If things work out I will use that.  Thanks
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."

Offline Sabre03

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, »
Funny you mention this,  I thought of this same idea this morning, easy way to get 100 amps.  I have seperate 100 amp service for my ac unit that i pay a cheaper rate for since the power company can turn it off in a power crunch

I work in commercial construction and after a year of blowing breakers myself in the incan days I had one of my electricians come over and look at my setup.  Luckily he was smarter than me and came up with the idea of disconnecting each of my AC units from their exterior disconnects and then we made a panel with some GFI outlets on them and connected them to the disconnects, since I am not using them during the winter months here in the midwest.  It has worked wonderfully.  Luckily all three of my units are located next to one another so even running dual power to some of the units I have currently is possible.  2011 will be my first year using Lynx equipment but none the less replacing my current controllers with them should be of no significant ill effect.

After he helped me I noticed that anyone with a little technical know how can do the same using off the shelf items at most home improvement stores.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, by Sabre03 »