Author Topic: Mouser charging twice on credit cards  (Read 4377 times)

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
Mouser charging twice on credit cards
« on: March 30, 2011, »
Has anyone else had this problem? 

Sunday I placed an order for about $160.  Shame on me but that account only had $200 in it.  That should have left me $40.  I used my visa debit card and placed the order for 6 BOM's of the SSR4's.  They charged my debit card $161.xx. Then shipped the order.  They found the difference to be about 50 cents more so instead of charging me the 50 cents more they recharged the order of another $161.xx.  The bank sent me en email I had overdrawn my account by $120.xx.  They said they were just in processing and not an actual charge.  I agreed with Mouser but my bank did not see it that way.  As soon as I got the overdrawn email I moved $150 from another account to make good.  This morning, Wednesday, I checked and one charge went through but the other was still processing.  Again I know it will fall off.  I emailed them a letter suggesting that they just charge the difference and not the full amount again or how could I pay and not have a double charge for 2-3 days.  I got this reply:

Hi Ron,

I am very sorry for any inconveniences this has caused. Currently all orders paid for with a credit card will be precharged and then charged for the actual cost. I will send the suggestions below to my manager so that she is aware of your concern. For the current time, however, the only method of payment that does not incur a fee or a precharge is to mail in a check. This process, however, will delay the shipment of the order, since it will not be shipped until we receive the check.

If you have any questions, you can email me, or you can call 800-346-6873 and any customer service representative should be able to assist you.
Thank you,

Kayla Roberts
Customer Service Representative
Mouser Electronics
(800) 346-6873
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I am kind of shocked.  I buy on line for all my computer, electronic and hobby toys.  Newegg and Amazon never does this.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline erm213

Re: Mouser charging twice on credit cards
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, »
They do not want to run a second transaction for the difference, as it will cost them more money. Merchant pay a flat fee, and then a percentage of the fee for each credit card transaction (how much is different, as it can be negotiated). It sucks that it happened, but it makes sense from there point of view. I'm sure there margins are tight as it is. Amazon and Newegg tell you how much shipping is up front, and never charge it there is a difference. One thing you could to, is tell your bank not to approve transaction that would over draft the account. It can still happen (sometimes the auth amounts are only for $1.00, gas stations love to do this).

Also trying contactiing your bank once the original auth rolls off, and explain at no point was you account in the red. If you get a nice customer service rep, they may reverse the fee.

Erik

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, »
I never ever use a debit card online.  If there is an error or something like this happens you may find your checking account overdrafted, etc.  Then the fees or bounced checks start coming.  Always use a credit card for online orders.  You will get your money back and everything straightened out, but why go thru the hassle if you don't need to.  I also never use a debit card if the card is going to be out of my site such as a restaurant that takes your card in the back room to process. 
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, »
Yes, I would suggest using a credit card on all online purchases whenever possible.  If not possible establish a second checking account, if you can do so without fees, say no on the debit overdraft coverage so that the account cannot be overdrawn.  Only transfer into that account the necessary money to pay for your transactions.
Will

Offline trekster

• My 2010 Videos
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, »
I will be using a credit card on Mouser in the future. 

Thanks

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, »
Unless you have a credit reating to low to get a credit card, I can't for the lif of me figure out why anyone would use a debit card.  There is no benefit that I can see over a credit card and a lot more risk.  When my bank sent me a debit card many years ago, I took it right back to them and told them to cancel it and send me a MAC card only.  And now with the fees attached to these debit cards, I'm glad that I did.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, »
I use a Debit Visa all the time, It's a Visa so it comes with the same fraud protection.

Offline trekster

• My 2010 Videos
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, »
I seem to have trouble with credit cards and toys.  I have a credit card with a 750 limit and it is almost always at 750.  I try but it is so hard with all these toys.  I really have not had trouble like this till Mouser with a double charge.  I know when I buy gas at 7-11 they charge $1 to my account.  Then 2-3 days later it turns into the real amount and is taken from my account.  I am ok with $1 holds.  The $161 hold got me.  If mouser took Paypal, that is what I would have used.  I use it often.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, »
I use a debit card all the time, never write checks and dont carry cash.  It does have the visa fraud protection.  BUT....I do not use it online, unless it is for a seperate checking account with limited funds.  You can turn your overdraft off so you do not pay any fees to the bank.  But odds are this will all straighten out tomorrow anyway.
Will

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, »
I use a Debit Visa all the time, It's a Visa so it comes with the same fraud protection.
My friend thinks that too, and you do have protection, but his card info got stolen at a gas station from one of those extra swipe things people are sticking on pumps now. The bank fixed everything, but the scammers got away with $1,600 and took his account to 0. It took the bank 10 days to correct everything, as there were still charges pending and he couldn't use his money or bank account for all that time. He ended up missing his car payment because of it and getting a ding on his credit report from that. I told him to stop using the debit card for everything like he had been and get a seperate credit card, that way if they do happen to get ahold of it, they can't wipe you out.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, »
Sunoco in the Pittsburgh area used to put a hold of $75 on a card when the gas pump charge card slot is used. even if you buy $1 of gas...   [sarcasm] that went over well.... [/sarcasm]
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, »
My friend thinks that too, and you do have protection, but his card info got stolen at a gas station from one of those extra swipe things people are sticking on pumps now. The bank fixed everything, but the scammers got away with $1,600 and took his account to 0. It took the bank 10 days to correct everything, as there were still charges pending and he couldn't use his money or bank account for all that time. He ended up missing his car payment because of it and getting a ding on his credit report from that. I told him to stop using the debit card for everything like he had been and get a seperate credit card, that way if they do happen to get ahold of it, they can't wipe you out.

This is my point exactly.  While many offer this protection, it is not always as simple as they make it look to get your money back and while they are working on it, you are still out your money which could lead to bounced checks and added charges from things like that.  My credit card info was stolen from an online company and someone started using it for some online orders.  The credit card company saw it and CALLED ME to confirm the charges because it didn't look right.  I told them it was not me and they canceled the card on the spot and sent me a new one within two days with no liability to me at all for the bad charges.  I was never out a dime and I really doubt that my bank would have been watching my debit  cards use like that and called me.  But even if I was the one to see a problem and call to dispute the charges and even if it took a month to get it resolved, because it is a credit card my money is still safe in the bank and my bills will still get paid.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline cubbieco

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, »
I use my debit all the time because I have a nasty habit of having no available credit on the credit cards.  :-(  I was a victim of the Monoprice card stealing a while back, I've had my number stolen from a gas pump, and another case I don't know how the fraudster got the card.  I've always been refunded 100% within a couple of days.  There are a couple of branches of my credit union with a debit card printer so I can have my card replaced the next business day.  I have overdraft "protection" off on the card so it shouldn't get extra fees from fraud that I need to get refunded.

As soon as the authorization drops off go get the fee back.  If it isn't back within a day or so then you should look at another bank, or take my advice and go to a credit union.  They seem more eager to have peoples business anyway (as opposed to some of the larger banks that cater to their business customers more).

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, »
I used a credit Union debit card before and visited family out of state. after i got back i got a phone call from the security service that my credit union uses. they saw transactions in another state and wanted to make sure I made them.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!