Author Topic: were home finially!  (Read 4691 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
were home finially!
« on: June 20, 2012, »
WOW!

What can I say that would be any clearer about the Academy? I have been to alot of events like mini's and regional get togethers and they have been awesome and a get way to get people together in a smaller area. But you just can't compare them to the academy.

I know I am a little slow on the response but this is because we have been driving for the last two days hard and I just woke up.

Heres the question for everyone!

Can any of you that attended think of a reason we would not be part of the academy next year? I know the talk had always been about a seperate DIY expo, but having it all together has got its advantages. I mean I attended a class on building giant trains for my display.

If you attended please tell me you attended and what your thoughts were.

If you did not attend then I will ask for your input next.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: were home finially!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, »
Just glad to hear you made it home safely and got some rest.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, »
Glad you made it back in one piece!  Your presence at the event made the whole thing a "complete" experience for me.

The only way I think it could be better is to televise it so that more people could have experienced it... across the world!  Even then it wouldn't be a replacement for getting face time with all of the LSH, DLA, and Halloween participants.  There were good conversations and learnings not only in the classrooms!

Glad to meet everyone in person, and hope to see more people next year.

BTW, I think there is an opportunity to carry the momentum forward -- in the LSH regional groups we regularly get together in workgroups -- usually to work on kits or discuss our plans and ideas.  It would be great to extend these groups to include more of the DLA membership.  We have active groups in Austin, Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio.  I think there are other groups out of state that get together as well.  Membership to the LSH site is open, even past the borders of Texas, and the door is always open.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline kfxi

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, »
I attended this year for the first time, and I was totally impressed,  I have been to several gatherings like this for other groups and never have I seen one better run and more informative.  Lets not change anything except getting more people to attend.

I met JJ and he is a great person to visit with, I see where RJ gets his ability from.

Ken Austin

Offline gsxrgirl7

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, »
Yes, glad you made it home safe RJ. Thanks for all your assistance!

I agree, last year was my first year to attend, and this year just blew last year away by far!  By combining both groups it brings an even larger wealth of knowledge in and allows for new friends, combining of the forces, expanding your knowledge base, and hearing about how you can combine multiple ways of using different equipment; whether it be controllers, lights, cameras, software, you get to see how many different things you have available to you.  I think by combining both groups it only makes the event much more diverse and there is something for everyone to love and learn!
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"
Helen Keller

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, »
I loved it.  I am already thinking about a return for next year.  I did not sign up yet, because I am waiting for the DLA commitment first.  Even my wife enjoyed the trip although she spent most of the time in the hotel room with her sewing machine and quilt material, plus a good book.  She has no objection to returning either.  I have been to several GA minis and two Christmas Carolina get togethers and all were great, but the size and breadth of the classes with the Academy were simply outstanding.  Met a lot of people I only knew threw the forum(s).  I never heard one complaint from anyone other than the cold temperature of the meeting rooms - glad I had a light jacket in my van.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline keitha43

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, »
Couldn't have been better. Well, maybe if it lasted a week or two!

Offline deweycooter

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, »
I hope DLA continues to be a part, but that's mostly for my own selfish reasons (it's just across town from me). 

Offtopic - does anyone have notes / link to RJ's presentations on Sunday (Lynx - Past, present, and future, and Future of DLA)?

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, »
Glad you made it back OK.

Got back to Tennessee on Tuesday around 2:00 PM.

Today feels like major jet lag after the Academy.

Will do it again next year.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, »
I hope DLA continues to be a part, but that's mostly for my own selfish reasons (it's just across town from me). 

Offtopic - does anyone have notes / link to RJ's presentations on Sunday (Lynx - Past, present, and future, and Future of DLA)?

I was asked for a summary in PM... I'll recycle it.  I might be off on a detail or two... if so, my apologies:

He didn't talk about the dumb controllers. or any unannounced products.

He did demo the conductor/slave -- it is getting VERY close to a coop.  the biggest problem is with the beta testers.  personal issues have prevented them from completing the testing and calling this complete.  but we saw it working and all was good!!

smart string passive hubs were already announced, and there was discussion around the v2 SSCs.  They have some changes that will improve the test mode, and also put more power into the strings so that they don't have as many problems in the field.  the fixes must have been significant enough to justify RJ's scrapping of his v1 inventory.

the BIG news was that RJ is close to deciding to sell the Express units and USB dongle.  Each are mature and solid, and they compare very well to the other options out there.  RJ gathered us together to get our thoughts -- pros and cons -- to enter into his decision.  he felt our opinion was very important.  he showed us a sample unit.  It uses surface mount technology, is it weather-proofed, it only has one 120v input (not 2), but still has 16 channels.  i think he said no wireless option... except throught the DIY TX/RX, not the EX/RX.

The unit would sell for $89.99 !!!!

It would be supported by a business that is apart from the DLA community.  it would have a direct support line and not use the forum.  it would allow RJ to do other things, like build inventory for other DIY kits, and RJ could also put money into other investigations and riskier projects. 

After discussing this for an hour the DLA members were VERY supportive and encouraged RJ to move forward.

In yet another session with DLA members we talked about how we could make the community more effective.  topics like the wiki, the forum, the staff, the coop managers, and the store were all discussed.  the discussions were very productive and we have things that we can do to spread the load and free RJ for more of the things we all want him to do.

so lots of "business" talk, but not no new kits beyond what you've heard about.

i left feeling very positive about the direction!!

Is RJ selling the unit with an enclosure and the power cables or is some assembly required?  Is the PCB smaller than the Express?  With the migration from C9s and minis to LEDs, the power requirements are reduced so it is a reasonable thing to use one 120 VAC input. 

Doesn't the conductor require the EtDongle board to act as a mother board?

I think the enclosure is included, but not the cables.  It will share the same heat sink, so it will have a benefit in lowering the cost of some of the parts used between the DIY and productized express (to be called Express-C)

The PCB looked roughly the same in size.  it looked MUCH cleaner because there were more surface-mounted parts and fewer parts sticking up.  It also had a protective glossy coating to protect it from outdoor weather.

Without the cables, the price will be lower, and it will also allow the customer to use long (or short) cords that is appropriate to their application.

The EtD is not part of the productized list (the USB dongle will be).  Over time, and when products mature, it is reasonable to think other kits might become products, but the smart string and EtD kits are far from that point in time.

Yes, the conductor and slaves are daughter boards for the EtD.  The case will be different, however.  RJ didn't go into details for that -- but i assume that a future coop will look something like this:

Etherdongle
Etherdongle case (not used for slave or conductor)
Conductor daughter board
Conductor case
Slave daughter board
Slave case

The conductor case will need a slot to allow easy exchange of the Compact Flash memory card.  (yes compact flash.  it is used because of the larger bus and the higher performance that RJ requires to be doing the 16,386 channels and mp3 playback.)  It will also need a hole for an audio jack.

The slave case is the same except for the audio jack.  Maybe a single case will be used for slave and conductor with the requirement that we drill our own hole for the audio.

I think there are different boards for slave and conductor.  Slave does not need audio parts, but both require compact flash assemblies.  But maybe RJ will think that the cost of a separate board does not justify depopulating the mp3 part.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, »
Steve, one thing I didn't see in your list:

The introduction of a Grouping function in Smart String Controller firmware.  ;D

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, »
Also note that he said the decision to go commercial was not final at this time. Commercialized versions  would not be sold thru DLA or RJ, but thru a company that licenses the design from him.  There would be no support for commercalized versions of products on DLA.  The $89 price is for the board only - no case, no cords of any kind.  I do not remember hearing anything about new case for conductor use.  I assumed that you will have to cut the case yourself for any existing ETDs, but I assume that new cases will/may be available in the future.  The problem will be volume or the cost will be high.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, »
Also note that he said the decision to go commercial was not final at this time. Commercialized versions  would not be sold thru DLA or RJ, but thru a company that licenses the design from him.  There would be no support for commercalized versions of products on DLA.  The $89 price is for the board only - no case, no cords of any kind.  I do not remember hearing anything about new case for conductor use.  I assumed that you will have to cut the case yourself for any existing ETDs, but I assume that new cases will/may be available in the future.  The problem will be volume or the cost will be high.

I inferred the conductor case detail... with the slot, it seemed to be something better machined as a coop activity.  (my dongles that I did with a drill press look terrible. :) )

the LE-C case was something I wasn't clear on... but I am sure you are correct.  no cables, no case in the $89 price.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, »
I have cnc machine I diy'ed.

What do you think I use it for?  everything!

I would expect we could find a way to use it to cut the slots in the etd cases. (I did on my conductors).

If the biggest worry is getting the slot cut then we are in great shape.

I did display the Dumb string controller you guys were just too star crossed looking over the conductor. That was what was contolling the lights string up the wall during the conductor demo.

I just asked for a coop manager for it in fact.

For those not there a little tid bit. To prove the Conductor really worked. Dad and I setup a 8 ft mega tree 1440 channels of flex strips and it ran all three days off of a conductor and no computer. It had a schedule and I am pretty sure the members there will agree it never missed a beat. The joke started being we were starting and ending our classes in the big room using it as the clock. (that and asking repeatable "Whens the coop start")

Needless to say I feel I could release it today but would like some more beta testing. so I am working on this issue.

I gave a demo of loading your files, creating your shows and scheduling and it seemed to be accepted well. It was a good "your about to get a Conductor, heres how to use it" kind of class.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, »
I'm ready - I can't wait!!

I sure am disappointed I could not make this trip this year but will be saving up all my pennies for next year!!  I trust it will be in the same location?
- Mark