Author Topic: easiest software to use for light sequencing  (Read 4342 times)

Offline Raptorman670

easiest software to use for light sequencing
« on: October 18, 2012, »
hi guys been watching vixen videos and it looks like a lot of work is there a easier program to use?
     thanks

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Re: easiest software to use for light sequencing
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, »
I like LightShow Pro (LSP 2.5).
lightshowpro.com

Others like HLS
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, »
Ask 100 people and you will get 100 answers.  I started with Lightorama, moved to Vixen in order to use Lynx hardware, and have played around with LSP enough to feel fairly comfortable with it.  I own the most current version of all of them.  Lots of choice no easy answer.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline thestig

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, »
I would say it definitely depends on your hardware. If you are running multiple RGB pixels then LSP is your best bet. if you are just running LE's then the choice gets a lot harder.

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, »
hi guys been watching vixen videos and it looks like a lot of work is there a easier program to use?
     thanks

i would certainly look into HLS. Joe Hinkle started writing his sequencer in Feb of this year for himself. There are many who are using it.

you will find the discussion thread for HLS here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Joe is doing daily releases, people ask for capabilitis and many times he has it done the next day.

The software i wrote, meighan.net/nutcracker, supports
Vixen >- Stable, large user base, not very good at RGB stuff
LSP <- Lots of whistles and bells. This is sort of like a new racing car. It sometimes has stability issues. Good RGB support
LOR<-turn key, hardware and software. Software seems very stable, large user base. Pretty good RGB support
HLS<-newest sequencer. Very active developer, has very good RGB support

I at least I know how to get data in, i do NOT know much about the ease of use for them since i havent started sequencing yet.

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline injury

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, »
I really think it depends on your lights, small counts of dumb strings I imagine they all would work pretty much the same. When you get to RGB and 1000's of channels I think is when they start separating themselves. I'm using RGB and all smart strings so my thoughts are based on that.

I'm going with HLS with some nutcracker tossed in this year. Joe's been pretty awesome about tossing in and fixing things very fast. When Etherdongles weren't working right with his E1.31 output he went from "what is pixelnet" to having us a custom box to mash together multiDMX universes into 1 that would work within days. 2-3 days ago people were mulling over and hinting at wanting to run projectors and video out, that was added in todays release I believe. It's really amazing when you consider I think he just started with learning about lighting in January.

I started messing with Vixen before HLS came about but until Vixen 3 is released RGB is pretty painful. Just messing with channels even with the sequence builder here wasn't a picnic. Then you'll want several different plugins but those are done by several different people and in different stages of development or not working or some design for 2.5 which isn't very stable vs 2.1. Got to be pretty messy. Currently I use Vixen 2.1 to make simple roughly 20 channel inputs from my midi keyboard, then import to HLS to add them to lights. If I had more people wanting Midi input in HLS I'd have no need for Vixen 2.1. I still have high hopes for 3.0 but it's not done yet.

I was gonna give LSP a test and I saw how they broke down the cost by channel count and had other crippled features based on price and said forget that. I also about choked on the pricing of Madrix, though at least that's understandable considering their actual target market.

sjb

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, »
It depends on your definition of easier. If you are looking for something that will sequence more automatically, then the answer is no. All the programs have their pros and cons. As other members have stated it is based on your requirements of your lights.

Again if you are wanting an easier program so it is quicker to sequence then that is called a comercial lighting company. This is why you will hear on the site people starting their next years show in the beginning of January, if not on December 26. These are the members that have awesome shows and have grown from year to year.

With this being my first year and started building in February I am still not going to have a lot of songs due to the learning curve and the time needed for sequencing, only 48 channels of leds and incans. Have not even considered the RGB stuff yet  (which in hindsite I thought earlier in the year "oh it can't take that long") now I know I was wrong and it will take a long time. My hats are off to the members here as they are always here to help, but they also have grown from the bottom up and are proud of their work. Which they should be and it is all about  <res. to other members and RJ for his talent for our blinky boxes.

Steve

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, »
remember that even if you have 5000 channels, they don't have to be on all the time doing something...    if you have slow and soft portions of songs, you can easily get by with just a few moving items. 
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline injury

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, »
remember that even if you have 5000 channels, they don't have to be on all the time doing something...    if you have slow and soft portions of songs, you can easily get by with just a few moving items.

And from my experience earlier this week less is better in some spots. Had a slow powerful song and I had timed every syllable of the singer and most of the piano in the slow parts when I watched the preview it was just way too busy and you couldn't focus on either. Changed the singers lights to just fade on the end of each phrase and it smoothed it out and the work I did on the piano stuff really stood out more.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, »
One of the songs i'm really focusing on more this year is Ave Maria, and rather than "beats" or the words, I'm using the dynamics of the song as the driving part of the sequence.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Raptorman670

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, »
Thanks Chris and everyone for your replies just starting with 1 le this year have 3. I work 6 days a week so im trying to get a program made. I will be just using incandesents.
                               Dave

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, »
With just one controller its not too hard with any of the sequencing programs. LSP of LOR would be over kill.  Vixen and X lights worked best for a friend of mine who I helped start out last year. There are alot of places to DL sequences and try them out. They will give you an idea how people get their lights do do what you want them to.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline travailen

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, »
For my first show, I started with Vixen. I had no idea what I was doing. (Now starting to use LSP and have no idea what I am doing).
Anyway, I down loaded Vixen and then looked around and found some Vixen sequences that others were nice enough to post from their previous year shows. That gave me a few songs and the foundation for some sequencing ideas I had not thought about. From those ideas I built my first show. Copied some stuff, modified some stuff and added some of my own sequencing and ended up with a passable show. Learned a lot in the process. The help here was and still is invaluable for me to have accomplished anything.

thanks

After you do your first show, you will look at programming differently. Right now it looks like drudgery. Within minutes of starting up your show for the first time, your eyes will get big, satisfaction will fill your being and programming will become an obsession. There will always be just one more small adjustment and visions of a better sequenced show next year.

Welcome to DIY.

Rick S

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, »
I've heard, and I've experienced the extra work needed to unlearn one program and pick up another program.

I'd suggest that you look at your needs for the next 3 years, and buy the program that is more closely aligned with those needs.  It might be more work the first year to learn a sophisticated program, but you'll be building experience that will pay off for year 2 and year 3.

Steve
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro