Author Topic: Started to put up lights!  (Read 1127 times)

Offline tpctech

Started to put up lights!
« on: October 29, 2011, »
Well I may be crazy but I did 8 loads of leaves in my leaf vac and then put up my Mega tree last weekend! :)  Being up here in Michigan I decided to get going early and kinda spread the setup out over the next 4 weeks.  I then proceeed with my porch today!  Tonight the whole family made a few batches of Chocolate Chip Candy Cane Cockies. <pop..  Nothing gets me more into the set up then fresh baked cookies!  I guess tomorrow I should do the leaves again It looks like i never did them and build the rest of the 7 expresses I need for the show!

KEN

Offline shaunkad

Re: Started to put up lights!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, »
I will do the roof lines next week and the out line of the buildings. The yard can wait some till I cut the grass one last time.

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, »
lol Well Ken I started the light setup for the X-Mas display myself last weekend.  The ones around the windows of the house.  Wife thought I was nuts.  Not that it's 32 degrees she said I was smart!  Of course I can't get any witnesses to hear her say that but take my word for it. lol

I'm also toying with the Mega-Tree up early just because it's 15 ft. high etc.  I already have the framework of it done. I just have to get the lights on it and then tie 'em all down.  See how the weather goes.....
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline ratroder

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, »
I got you all beat. I started the first weekend in october when it was 65 outside. Got the bushes done (have a lot of them and each is two colors). The roof was the second weekend. Now all the is left is the mega tree, and finish wrapping on of the column on my porch.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, »
finish wrapping on of the column on my porch.

I used to wrap my porch columns, but too much work,  I found they look just as good by running the lights up and down the front of the column and way easier and quicker to put up and take down.  I have cup hooks at the top and bottom of each column that I use to hold the lights.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline ILOVETOTRYDIY

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, »
Sorry, got you all beat.  Started set up in September  >:D doing a Nightmare Before Christmas theme and since everything didn't get done in time for Halloween I can say it was all for Christmas anyways. 
When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do.  Walter Elias Disney

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, »
Sorry, got you all beat.  Started set up in September  >:D doing a Nightmare Before Christmas theme and since everything didn't get done in time for Halloween I can say it was all for Christmas anyways. 

September!?  Wow!  I know my Mom said (before she died) that she was going to make me set it all up before September even just because its warmer then.  Yeah well I never did get to that one. Although I did some the house stuff when it was still warm so I surprised myself on that one! lol
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline ratroder

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, »
finish wrapping on of the column on my porch.

I used to wrap my porch columns, but too much work,  I found they look just as good by running the lights up and down the front of the column and way easier and quicker to put up and take down.  I have cup hooks at the top and bottom of each column that I use to hold the lights.

I had thought about that idea but I have my columns divided into 16 segments (8 red, 8 white). The columns are mirrored between each other.

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, »
I am starting the roof and house tomorrow. I am glad to see others are already on  it. I thought it might be too early.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, »
I will be working on the upper lights around thursday.  Hope to hve all the upper windoes and roof line don by the weekend.  May also put lights in the bushes as well and get that out of the way.  By then the new furnace and AC units for the house should be here and I need to stop decorating to get those installed.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, »
Don't let a little thing like heat and air get in the way!  :)  I think I will wait a week or two before starting setup, but I'm starting to get an itchy trigger finger.  So who knows when it will start. 

I have a few flex strips and nodes set out for halloween tomorrow night, but nothing super fancy.  I didn't even do any musical sequences; just a couple minutes of an animation that repeats over and over again.  The hardware has run very well, although I have had several node failures due to moisture the two times it rained.  But that is my fault for not getting the plasti-dip in quick enough.  :(  The hub and ssc's have been solid performers.

Offline inzeos

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, »
lol Well Ken I started the light setup for the X-Mas display myself last weekend.  The ones around the windows of the house.  Wife thought I was nuts.  Not that it's 32 degrees she said I was smart!  Of course I can't get any witnesses to hear her say that but take my word for it. lol

I'm also toying with the Mega-Tree up early just because it's 15 ft. high etc.  I already have the framework of it done. I just have to get the lights on it and then tie 'em all down.  See how the weather goes.....

How are you doing your tree?  I was really hoping to get more done on my display this year; however, life with a 1 year old really seems to leave you with not much spare time.

Leif