Author Topic: Problem with Expressees - flickering  (Read 2233 times)

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
Problem with Expressees - flickering
« on: October 31, 2011, »
Talked with RJ via PM and he said to post this to see if anyone is having the same issue....

Seem that while wireless and a show is running or even testing I get some flickering of channels.  It's really noticeable on my display right now.  I don't see it unless DMX is going to them.

I don't believe this is happening while wired though but I will do some more testing after tonight.  And this does seem to be happening on every controller.

Maybe my TX?  I only have one right now so I can't swap it out.

Thanks in advance!

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline deplanche

Re: Problem with Expressees - flickering
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, »
I have had similiar problems.

Setting up my halloween display, I used the Vixen test channel feature to turn all on, and there were several times where nothing would be on.  Then they would all come back on within a second or two.

During a show, there seems to be several misfires, where lights that aren't supposed to be on, are coming on very quickly and then turning back off.  I've had this problem over the last few years, and still haven't found a solution.

I can say i've only noticed it with mini's.  I haven't seen it on the single C-7 or C-9 bulbs that I have on some channels.  Not to say it isn't happening, i just haven't noticed it.

It does seem to be limited to wireless as 4 of my 5 LE's are that way.  I have a mix of LE versions and RXs on those, and all see to experience problems... though I have rotated them so much trying to fix the problem, I could be wrong.

If you figure something out, or need me to test something, let me know.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, »
I've had this problem in the past with LEDs and v4 LEs.  Also had the problem with wireless.  I don't notice it much these days and what I did was to add snubbers to all my LED strings and to upgrade my wireless to the latest firmware.  You may have V5 LEs and the latest wireless so not sure what could be causing your problem.  Snubbers are cheap and easy to build so that may be one solution.  The problem was definitely an LED problem for me.  Never any problem with incans.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, »
Interesting!  I noticed this right from day one.  Using the program Start Pattern.  When set to alternating what ever channels were "off" they would flicker on then off just as fast.  That was the first time noticing it.

So it sounds like you do not notice during a wired setup.  Is that correct?  I'm beginning to wonder if I should just do a wired setup for the Christmas display.  This flicker is distracting IMO.

I also had on Express last night during the recording of my shows flake out on me.  It would be going just find then you could tell it was "stuck."  Then it would pick up again after a few seconds.  First time I've seen that one.

Now all my testing was done over the summer time when it was above 70 degrees so I'd say it's not a temp related issue at all.  And I'm pretty sure when wired it wouldn't do that.  I can remember testing for that specifically earlier this year.  I just can't be 100% of the results right now.  Pretty sure though it wasn't a problem when wired.

When I PM'd RJ he hadn't heard about it.  But apparently it is an issue.  Hope more speak up so we can come up with a solution to this.  While it's not a show stopper it is annoying.

And a quick follow up with a post done before I posted this...  This is with incans.  All of them.  No LED's yet.  But I can watch the LED's on my V5 boards flicker with nothing else connected except for the two (2) power inputs - no outputs (nor wires connected to the outputs).

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, »
Have you tried moving the TX? Higher of the ground if possible. Move it left or right to see there is some interference. Like Wifi, try wireless on another universe

Can you just use wireless to the closes LE and run cat5 from there?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, »
I had some ghost flashing when I first set up last year. Like Rick suggested, I put the TX higher up on my garage and a lot of the ghosting went away. Have you tried changing channels on the TX and RX? I changed to channel 2 and the rest of my ghost flashing went away.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, »
Read this post from last year on this topic and see if this is your problem.

Talked with RJ via PM and he said to post this to see if anyone is having the same issue....

Seem that while wireless and a show is running or even testing I get some flickering of channels.  It's really noticeable on my display right now.  I don't see it unless DMX is going to them.

I don't believe this is happening while wired though but I will do some more testing after tonight.  And this does seem to be happening on every controller.

Thanks in advance!

Dean
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, »
Have you tried moving the TX? Higher of the ground if possible. Move it left or right to see there is some interference. Like Wifi, try wireless on another universe

Can you just use wireless to the closes LE and run cat5 from there?

Rick R.

Yes Rick...  I had done the initial testing when the TX was just about right on top of each Express.  So high / low doesn't seem to matter.

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, »
I had some ghost flashing when I first set up last year. Like Rick suggested, I put the TX higher up on my garage and a lot of the ghosting went away. Have you tried changing channels on the TX and RX? I changed to channel 2 and the rest of my ghost flashing went away.

John

Hmmmm  Changing channels....  Something I have not tried in fact.  Forgot all about that too....  Time to look at some things....

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, »
Read this post from last year on this topic and see if this is your problem.

Thanks in advance!

Dean

Interesting read...  The only problem is that I got my stuff after all of this happened I believe.  I started coop's back in mid to late December I think. The wireless was after that so I'm assuming I have the latest firmware.  Too late tonight to reflash everything.  I might have enough daylight to change universes though.  Gotta run and see if I can do it.

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, »
Well quick follow up now that I'm home after taking the kids out....

Did a quick test before I left and the show started...

Changed to Universe 2 and then to 3.  No difference.

So I guess it's time to reflash everything to see if that works.  I'll get the display torn down on wed. and then work on that.  Need to do this before the Christmas display otherwise it will be a wired display.

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline abrianbaker

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, »
I am having the EXACT same problem! I did find that when I changed the position of the TX it helped a :little: bit however the problem never went away.  I got my wireless setup in the last wireless coop.  hmmmm
This is my fourth year!!!
Smart String Mega Tree
6000 Pixel Net Channels
256 LE Channels
140,000 Lights
Controlled by Vixen 3.1, Xlights Nutcracker
"You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, »
I had some random flickers on the Gen 1 transmitter from time to time but since moving to the Gen 2 transmitter I didn't notice any last year.

Bill

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, »
I ve seen this on mine although I'm running 1st generation TX/RX. I even saw it a liitle on my wireless SSR4's however, I was able to clear it up almost completely by making every effort to either shorten the distance or ensure clear line of sight. (I run my TX inside the garage and sometimes things can get in the way and cause this. Sometimes I have to go out and clear snow blocking line of sight to my low EX/RX's. This also holds true for studs in the walls. Need to ensure clear line of sight.  :)
Leon

Offline rm357

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, »
A few notes from my personal experiences:
- I got better performance with the transmitter ~6 to 8 ft above ground and higher than all of the receivers
- the TX output and RX sensitivity are not symmetrical - things work better if all of the antenns are oriented pointing up
- the internal RX draws too much current for the SSR4 unless you disconnect/remove the LEDs.
- There needs to be some separation (like a few feet) between the dongle and the transmitter. When I had them back to back, it was bad...

Good luck!
RM

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA