Author Topic: hardware for yourchristmas show  (Read 3781 times)

Offline therealbigjim

Re: hardware for yourchristmas show
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, »
I pressure washed the house and trimmed the bushes. And I got the coro faces down from the attic.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline devoidelk

• North western Indiana, 47960
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, »
Controller being ordered through a coop. Gotta replace my Etd with another or the usb dongle. Then onto testing and finding a way to get onto my roof (its pretty steep so climbing up onto it is not an option). Hopefully i can get it all done

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, »
Controller being ordered through a coop. Gotta replace my Etd with another or the usb dongle. Then onto testing and finding a way to get onto my roof (its pretty steep so climbing up onto it is not an option). Hopefully i can get it all done

find you an old couch cushion and take the cover off. the foam sticks to the roof and you stick to the foam. i used to think my neighbor was crazy when he told me to use foam on a roof, but it works!! i used to install dish network and the foam got some people service service that otherwise would not have got it.

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, »
Been a very tough summer! Not sure yet if I am going to have a show or not, but my plans of a huge show is way out the window. My "Christmas light" work room is a complete disaster and I have so many things to build I don't even no where to start. AND I have not sequenced one new thing yet.... not looking promising... So many people will be disappointed if I don't do something and I don't want to disappoint anyone during Christmas, so I will probably throw something together, but it won't be pretty. 

Offline thestig

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, »
I was going to line my entire house with flex strips but I am finding the sequencing to be too much for me at this time. I am going to sequence a few flex strips as arches and firesticks instead. My show has gone from being fun to stressfull and I am just now realizing that I need to step back and have fun again.

This year I have added twice the lights, 6 aethers and 3 singing faces for halloween. I think that is enough in itself to annoy the neighbors and put smiles on the kids faces.

Grant

Offline devoidelk

• Facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, »
Been a very tough summer! Not sure yet if I am going to have a show or not, but my plans of a huge show is way out the window. My "Christmas light" work room is a complete disaster and I have so many things to build I don't even no where to start. AND I have not sequenced one new thing yet.... not looking promising... So many people will be disappointed if I don't do something and I don't want to disappoint anyone during Christmas, so I will probably throw something together, but it won't be pretty. 

Once the lights start to blink nobody will care about how neat it looks as long as the magic is there..

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, »
I looked at the shelves with the controllers on it and said to myself:
"Self, you need to replace some triacs."
That's as far as I have gotten with my hardware.
Sequencing is 12.85% done. After all, we still have almost a month til Halloween.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline keitha43

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, »
I just finished 1 new song for Halloween. Been working on it since may-June timeframe. I guess the other 2 will have to wait until next year. I want at least 1 new one for Christmas.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, »
I just finished 1 new song for Halloween. Been working on it since may-June timeframe. I guess the other 2 will have to wait until next year. I want at least 1 new one for Christmas.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

i have thought of doing something for halloween, but this is my first year and after doing wizards in winter from scratch, first time doing it, i think i'll focus on christmas so i know that i have enough songs. sequencing is no joke!
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, »
2012 GOALS:

Top Priority:
- convert most LOR controllers to LE(s) ... eliminate all by 2013
- go completely wireless where ever it makes sense to ... build some new Ex/Rx(s)
- go from 4 SS arches, to 8 SS arches ...  improve angle, spacing and leveling
- build SSR4(s) w/DMX and add to key locations to optimize controller placement elsewhere
- double lights on (2) mini-megatrees from 2400 to 4800 lights each and to avoid looping over the top of 11' mini megatrees
- improve the RGB programming using Nutcracker, esp. on the arches and the 2011 mini-mega RGB toppers
- convert from using a single pixelnet flashes dongle to the etherdongle

Medium Priority:
- add 2 new coroflakes (never completed in 2011)
- improve sequencing all around on existing songs, maybe add new songs in December??
- add nutcracker single string effects to the tune-to sign RGB sequencing

Stretch Goals:
- still need to decide on whether to stay with latest version of LOR or use LSP 2.5 [ leaning LOR because of time ]
  ... will use xlights if needed to run shows, unless I can do it using E1.31 and LOR without changing too much
- build aether(s) and convert to if time permits
- add some RGB smart strings to my 6' 'super spinner' if time permits
- add some RGB smart string to something simple like the megatree pole, so do some experimental effects with

Staying motivated is a major issue ... I only started building stuff about 2-3 weeks back ... so I need to stay on top of that,
or I won't have a show in 2012 by default.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, »

[/quote]

Once the lights start to blink nobody will care about how neat it looks as long as the magic is there..
[/quote]

Thanks, That is the type of thing that will keep me going.

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, »
That's the spirit Rdebolt!  And like the stig said, remember to have fun with it.  I have a few SSC V2's and passive hubs to finish assembling.  I was going to do the roof lines and doors and windows for Halloween but I don't have the Flex strips yet from Ray.  Then I typically mount them to .5" PVC pipe with zip strips and rig the pipe to hang from the eaves.  So if I am to get that done in time for Halloween I need to get the strips in to test all this new stuff.  And then just need to finish up the sequencing for Christmas. 

I never thought of using foam to stay on the roof but it makes sense to me.  RC cars use foam tires for insane grip so it should work for us too.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline devoidelk

• Facebook
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, »
All i'm doing is 8 windows, my roof that will be connected to 2 roofs for my porches, the porches themselves and im going to make 5 mini trees blink thats it im keeping it simple for my first year in