Author Topic: ActiveHub and PixelNet and DMX outputs  (Read 2590 times)

Offline DanHouston

ActiveHub and PixelNet and DMX outputs
« on: December 30, 2012, »
How much of the activehub has to be put together to accept pixelnet from the etherdongle and just output pixelnet and dmx (no need to output to the SSCs)?

What I am trying to accomplish....

I run my dongles out of my garage, and then have a splitter to take the feeds to two different sides of a porch in the front yard. I am likely going to add some pixelnet too my display next year, but most of my stuff is DMX, so I'd like to use the pixelnet splitter to send pixelnet to both sides of the porch and then split out from there to have pixelnet and DMX and then run to my first set of devices. I'm still planning things out, but I don't think that first spot is going to be where I would actually want my smart string controllers so I don't want to put a complete active hub there. With that in mind is there a minimum build for the active hub (or even better a device that just does what I want to do) to just provide pixelnet and dmx outputs?

Thanks,
Dan
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline rm357

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, »
The pixelnet splitter will do the job.

Problem with using a partial build on the hub is that you either need to have an extra pc power supply or a 12 volt supply with the optional 12 volt parts. Way overkill...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline rm357

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, »
The splitter is a bobcat product - I think the one you need to pm for that would be n1list, but I doubt he has any boards right now. Coops should start soon...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline DanHouston

Re: ActiveHub and PixelNet and DMX outputs
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, »
The splitter will be in use, but I don't think it will give me DMX and PixelNet out of different ports, it will just split the signal coming into it (in this case Pixelnet)....I'll draw a picture of what I want to accomplish.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, »
So, here is a crude picture...The two blue boxes are about 20' and 40' from the location of the EtherDongle and Splitter currently (so obviously this is not to any sort of scale) :) The two blue boxes are where I'd like to split out PixelNet and continue in one direction with PixelNet and another direction with DMX. On the other side it will just split out DMX (for now) as that is all I need on that side of the house.

As I was laying it out it occurred to me I could run straight ethernet to both sides of the porch and use 2 EtherDongles, but it does not work well with my current setup (not saying I can't change it....just not setup well for it right now).

So, I was thinking the two blue boxes could be active hubs so I can get out what I need from there, but that would be a bit of waste since I would not run any SSCs from there....So I was thinking how much of the active hub do I need or possibly a different device that provides that functionality (this second option would be ideal actually).
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, »
I run all my DMX using wireless adapters.  Works great.  I just have the DMX out from the active hub going to TX mounted up high on a porch post.  I am running 9 LEs using wireless including one on the backside top of the roof.  I also have some SSR4s with wireless, but not using them this season.  i know some folks have had issues with wireless, but this is my 4th year using them with no problems.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, »
you could try pixelnet to the hub on the left. then to the dmx items, and then wireless to the dmx items on the right?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, »
Wireless is definitely an option. I ran a small portion of my display with wireless this year to test it out and it went well....May try to do some distance and likely location testing while I still have things out.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I run all my DMX using wireless adapters.  Works great.  I just have the DMX out from the active hub going to TX mounted up high on a porch post.  I am running 9 LEs using wireless including one on the backside top of the roof.  I also have some SSR4s with wireless, but not using them this season.  i know some folks have had issues with wireless, but this is my 4th year using them with no problems.

Are you using the TX/RX v2 stuff or are you using the EX in the LEs?
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, »
I have the TXRX v2, but the V1 worked almost as well.  Just had a little problem going into my side yard until I moved the receiver.  All my LEs have the EX module even the 4 sitting together under my mega tree although I have thought about using just one EX and wiring the others together.  I started with 1 LE for my megatree years ago, went to two and finally this year to 4.  The additions were repurposed after putting smart strings on my gutters and windows and not needing LEs there anymore and they already had wireless installed on them..
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, »
i am thinking of putting dmx in the neighbors yard, what is the distance range on the wireless devices?

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline CW

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, »
Not sure if you have the active hubs already, but if not i suggest etherdongle to the active hub on the left and run the DMX back to the right side. Not a lot more cable then you already have for a wired solution and you are not buying power supply, splitters and and second hub.
I used a similar setup this year with ED pixlenet to passive 16 hub, continuing to active hub and the DMX out to DMX splitter goes left, right and up to the second story from the first story. Alot of cat 5 which I don't mind.

Craig

Offline tng5737

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, »
Since the right side is just dmx - why not just run a cable out of the left side to 'chain' the dmx over to the right side?

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Since the right side is just dmx - why not just run a cable out of the left side to 'chain' the dmx over to the right side?

Getting between left and right is not all that convenient which is why I have those cables run permanently. I guess I could make another "patch panel" area on that side with permanent runs rather than them all coming from the garage.

Thanks all for the ideas!
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced