Author Topic: Hallowe'en: Talking skull  (Read 3903 times)

Offline justdoug

Hallowe'en: Talking skull
« on: March 21, 2010, »
One festive season is really not enough to show off my new Lynx Express.  I need more.

I'm planning a Hallowe'en display.  I'd like to incorporate a talking skull.  Here's the components I'm planning on using for my setup

Vixen - for lighting, sound track, skull servo control
Lynx Express - illuminate the tombstones, casket, and other creepy things
DMX to servo controller - to control the skull servos
     You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bucky Skull   
Servos for the eyes and jaw 

I found some help on the web too.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of project?  Has anyone used this DMX server controller from Northlight?

Thanks.

...Doug. 

Offline crazybob

Re: Hallowe'en: Talking skull
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, »
I haven't built one of my own, but I own one of the Skulltronix skulls. I use VSA instead of vixen to control everything, but vixen should work fine too. Just be sure to set your servo limits somehow so you don't burn them up.
Skulltronix also offers a DMX controlled servo board that can set the limits in itself.

Offline Slinkard

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, »
Are the skulltronix worth the cost? Seems like Dougs version is limited but about 1/50th the cost.

Slink

Offline paul58

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, »
Check out Bluepoint engineering. At one time they dealt with animatronic kits by DMX. They still might.

Offline crazybob

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, »
Yes, it's totally worth the cost. Not saying that others won't work, but if i'm putting out that much money I want top quality.  Most skulls have some "bounce" to them, because when one servo moves it shifts the others. I'm on some other halloween forums and that is a HUGE problem for others to overcome when building their own. Skulltronix is the only one i've ever seen that gets rid of that bounce. The skull is also much higher quality, and the customer service is second to none. I've called Jerry many times with a question about my Skull, and he's walked me through fixing parts on the phone and spent an hour straight just talking about animatronics in general. plus, their skulls are one of the only ones with the color changing eyes. And the routines by Mike Fox are AMAZING!

Offline justdoug

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, »
The Skulltronics gear is amazing. First class all the way.  Though I'd like the Cadillac, as my first foray into animatronics I'd like to keep the cost down.   

The Bluepoint servo controller looks like it has better control than the Northlight.  It has 90' and 180' adjustments.  I'm not exactly sure what 0-255 DMX will on the Northlight controller will do.

With all that said, I ordered the Northlight controller, a skull and a couple of eyeballs.  Actually, I ordered two skulls and four eyeballs since they were pretty cheap.  I figure I just might make a mistake or two and need to start again.

I have a couple of old Airtronics servers lying around from an RC airplane the fell from the sky (while I was at the controls).  Hopefully they'll work with the controller.  Servos are $15 or less, so if they don't work I'll be ordering new ones.

I'm in Canada, so I'm having the components delivered to a friend vacationing in Arizona.  Hopefully they'll be delivered before he comes back.  Delivery to Canada from the US is a bit of a gamble.  Sometimes the courier hits you with a customs clearance fee.  I've paid $35 to UPS for a $20 part before.  Other times there's no charge.  You never know.

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, »
Hi,
I curious how you are getting along with this project? I'm working on two skulls myself (VSA controlling the Lynx SSC-32 controller) but haven't got very far. I'm using the Linberg skulls and currently just getting the servo mounting plate macined up... Also working on some LEs and a DMX dongle so my hope is to move the skull servos over to DMX eventually...

How did the Northlight servo controller work out? Looks like the most cost effective way to do it. The Skulltronix/BPE servo controller looks better but costs more (almost double I think). I plan to use a MR16 to control RGB LEDs in the skull eyes...

I'm in Canada also so finding local sources or knowing what duty/shipping costs will be is important......

Bob

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, by packetbob »
zappedmyself.com

Offline justdoug

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, »
I haven't been moving too quickly, but here's the state my project is in... 

I had a difficult time finding a thick piece of *reasonably priced* plexiglass to cut the mounting plate that fits in the skull.  eBay looked like a good source, but the shipping to Canada was prohibitive.  Eventually I found a scrap in my local hardware store.  I should have started there.

Fitting the plexiglass into the skull has proved to be tough.  Cutting thick plexi with a scroll saw was a learning experience; the heat from the blade caused the plexi to melt an re-seal behind the blade as I cut.   I have a lot of sanding to do to get it to fit properly.

My next hurdle was the servos weren't working.  They just sat there and got warm.  Warm servos are never a good sign.  I eventually discovered that the wires on my Airtronics servers are non-standard.  Once I rewired the connectors, all was well.  Fortunately I didn't burn them out in the process.

The Northlight Systems DMX servo controller is working well.  No problems there.

I'm having difficulty getting LightShowPro to communicate consistently with any DMX devices.  I've had the same problems with RJ's Lynx DMX Deck too, so I don't think it's problem with the LSP.  I'm thinking it's Windows-FTDI related.  Or maybe it's a user issue.

My next step is to get a drum sanding kit for my drill press.  With some sanding, I should be able to fit the plexy into the skull.

----------

Ordering from the US to Canada is a gamble.  I had the servo controller, eyes, and skulls delivered to a friend vacationing in Arizona.  This took the risk out of it.

My wallet was raped when having parts for three dongles shipped from Mouser.  There was charged a separate courier customs related charge for each line item.  It was about $2.50 per line.  I think it worked out to $70 for the order.

The LE's kits arrived without any unexpected fees.  I'm hoping for the same with the wireless kits and the Aether kits.

...Doug.