Author Topic: dongle for le  (Read 1088 times)

Offline shifter

dongle for le
« on: June 06, 2012, »
What dongle do i need to hook my 4 le boards up to my computer?

Thanks
Ralph

Offline tbone321

Re: dongle for le
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, »
That depends on what you want to do.  Either dongle will work and the USB dongle costs less.  If you want to use the Conductor in the futire then you would need the Etherdonge at that point.  Since there are no coops for the USB dongle, you can order the board from the store and the parts from the BOM and get started right away.  If you want the Eherdongle then you will have to wait for the next coop because currently, the Eherdongle board is only available during a coop for it.  The one exception to the USB dongle right now is with the Academy coming up in less than 2 weeks, I doubt that RJ would be able to ship the board out to you until after the Academy is over.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, by rrowan »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, »
Under the WIKI, the USB dongle is titled "Dongle" ... and refers to the device also known as "DMX Lynx USB Dongle" ... which can be firmware flashed with EITHER DMX or PIXELNET ... and has either 512 channels (DMX) or 4096 (PIXELNET) capabilities ... but won't work with the conductor (a daughter board for the etherdongle, which can have up to 16k channels) ... but if you don't need to run your show from a hardware device (conductor) ... but from software ... either would work for you.

One other option to ask other members (who may be upgrading to an etherdongle) if they want to sell their DMX Lynx USB Dongle ... because many would have it ... but some may not need both ... whereas all you need is that if the price (and saving $$) is your primary concern.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline shifter

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, »
thanks for the replies
yea the usb dongle sounds best for me right now
with no boards available right now guess i will be waiting
I love doing these kits so much fun!!!
I have an addiction with the smell of burning rosin i guess  ;D

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, »
Go to the sales forum and post a message asking if anybody wants to sell off their USB dongle (pcb or complete)

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required