Author Topic: tapatalk  (Read 1611 times)

Offline tbone321

Re: tapatalk
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, »
I understand that they need to control the bandwidth, especially on a shared server but just shutting a site down without even so much as an error page explainig that the site is down for service or some other indication of a temp condition that needs to be corrected is about as unprofessional as you can get.  They should have notified RJ and given him a little time to correct the problem and if a shutdown was required, then they should have set some type of error page so people didn't think that they were banned or the site is a piece of crap.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, »
it may not be bandwidth. I worked for a hosting provider where we disabled sites from a script that was killing resources on the server. it was in their agreement to keep the other sites on the same shared server from getting killed.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, »
Then you also worked for a failry unprofessional provider.  Even a script driven one can change the default page to some type of informational one while it shuts down the main site.  There is really no excuse for this.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, »
it was to protect the other sites. we also couldn't speak on behalf of a customers site. we're weren't going to let a misconfigured script affect 35 other sites, just to sit there and come up with a page for someone. its a standard agreement of web host providers on shared servers.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, »
gate.com is a populated host. read the last sentence...
 Server Resources Any website that uses a high amount of server resources (such as, but not limited to, CPU time, memory usage, and network resources) will be given the option to either pay additional fees (which will depend on the resources required), reduce the resources used to an acceptable level, or upgrade its service to a Dedicated Server plan. Gate.com will be the sole arbiter of what is considered to be a high server usage level. All Web Hosting and Ecommerce accounts come with a limit of 5,000 files per account. Each block of 5,000 files after the initial 5,000 will incur an additional charge of US$9.95/month. Any Web Hosting and Ecommerce account deemed to be adversely affecting server performance or network integrity will be shut down without prior notice

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, »
idk who rj uses, but that's an example that many sites use. but this is all speculation, and only rj knows what's going on. so this is my last on it.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, »
If you have not already done it everybody should send a support donation to RJ to help upgrade the site.  That should do it.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA