Author Topic: In need of some help  (Read 735 times)

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
In need of some help
« on: October 14, 2010, »
I have also posted this in the Dongle section of the forums with no such luck on any help. I have been using th dongle for a few months now with no problems. So today I took the usb cord out of my pc to show a friend and plugged it back in to find that I no longer have any of my com ports. here is what I have done to try to fix the problem.

I reinstalled drivers
Tried 3 different USB cords
Tried on 3 different computers
Reinstalled Vixen

Im using windows 7

Is there something wrong with the dongle itself? If, so what could cause this problem in less than 5 minutes of being out of the case?  <md..
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.

Offline meman

Re: In need of some help
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, »
Since you have fiddled with the computer already, start by getting it back to square one.  Check out this thread for advice on how to make sure the drivers are uninstalled. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Reboot. Re-install the drivers. Reboot again and give it a try. Check the obvious, some of the ports on the USB boards were out of kilter and you had to wiggle the male end of the cable a bit to get it seated properly

If it still doesn't work, turn the board over and touch up the solder on all pins connecting the USB board to the dongle board. As RJ states in other threads, the USB port is pretty much self contained and simply soldering it's pins to the dongle board should get you a beep, even if the rest of the board is toast. 

Good luck,
Mike E.

Offline rm357

Re: In need of some help
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, »
If you took it out of the case, you might have zapped it with static electricity, but I would not assume that right away unless you live in an area where it has been pretty dry lately. If you have another computer or can hook it to a friend's computer, i would do that and listen for the "ding" - windows includes a basicdriver and should recognize the dongle as a USB serial converter, whether you have installed the driver or not.

RM

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA