Author Topic: Burn In  (Read 2821 times)

Offline rm357

Burn In
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, »
We use the pc type power supplies because they are the least expensive power supplies available on a per watt basis and they are very highly regulated. Even with cheap pc power supplies, the power rails are usually within half a volt of the stated value.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
Burn In
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, »
I ask because I plugged my V2 ssc to the hub and nothing turned on. Is this where i need to do the V3 mod for it to work? And is there a burn in method used for this version?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Sebastian from California

Offline tbone321

Re: Burn In
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, »
There is no test firmware currently available for the VER 2 SSC.  Now if you wan to burn in a string then you can either modify the SSC to a VER 3 and load the VER 3 test firmware or set up XLights and use it to send test data to the SSC with it's normal firmware.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, »
There is no test firmware for v3 either. I am using xlights or just looping a test sequence in my sequencer.

sjb

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, »
I thought I saw test firmware in the Wiki for SSC V3

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, »
There is an old link there pointing to a (now) non existing page.

Offline hicksjo

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Caution note ... On page 2 of referenced test guidelines there is a picture of an ssc set up to test smart strings.  To facilitate quick connections to power and strings alligator clips are shown/used. 

Not sure about the clips in the picture, but the ones I used are not capable of handling the current for 100 nodes while trying to burn in over a long period of time ... Luckily I just checked in on my strings after a few minutes and noticed the smoke coming off the insulation on my alligator clips.

I figure I was moments away from some nice melting insulation and potentially much worse.  My fault for not considering the amperage and heat generated and the relatively light gauge used on the clips ... But wanted to share to hopefully save others the learning curve.

The pictured set up is great for testing, but use caution when setting up for burn in of large number of nodes.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, »
i set all of my strings on the 3 core connectors that ray sells, so that they are interchangale.  I have one extra SSC not needed for my show set aside, as the test.

you load the test firmware on it, and then you can plug any string into it. you can set it up to run from a hub (in case you absolutely have to replace a running ssc with this one, or you can set it up to run from a cheap 10A 12v power supply from ray.

when your testing, you just make sure the other end is covered up to not short out.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!