Author Topic: Looking for help with GE set.  (Read 691 times)

Offline djbbjd

Looking for help with GE set.
« on: January 08, 2012, »
I have a "GE Pro Line" light set that calls itself a C9 set on the box, but in reality has decorative C9 sized "covers" overtop of an unusual sized mini style light.  The set came with a built-in chaser board inside a plastic box.  It was a pretty fun set and it bothers me that it hasn't worked for a couple of years.  I'm guessing I need replacements for the lights.  Any ideas?  They're clear lights,  1 3/4" from end to tip.  The light is 1", while the plastic stem is 3/4".  I'm pretty certain the fuses are good.

This light set has been sitting in my basement for a couple of years, but I haven't been able to throw it away because I'm convinced I can get it to work as it's such a fun set. 

Or maybe somebody has a suggestion as to how I might take the chaser card and use it for something else?  It had a button that switched toggled eight different chase effects.

Thanks!
Dan

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
Re: Looking for help with GE set.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, »
I bought 3 sets of star icicles a couple of years ago on a after Christmas sale.  I did not see they had controllers until I got home.  I used a multi-meter and found that it was 120vac in and it had 4 wires coming out.  It was 1 common and 3 hot lines.  The controllers have 8 settings.  I put some vampire sockets on them and now I can plug in 3 strings of lights and make them dance.  Do yours look like these?  (I removed the controllers from the star icicles and wired them with 1 common and the other 3 I tied together and that made them a constant on.  Now they work fine with my expresses.)

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, »
If the entire set is out then it is probably not the bulbs.  I have three of those sets and they are all still working.  When there is a bulb issue, that is usually indicated by one of the colors going out, not the entire set.  I was going to hack the controllers off of them and replace them with SSR4's but now I'm going to use smart strings in place of them. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline djbbjd

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, »
Trekster:  Yeah, it's something like that.  Not an exact duplicate, but I might do something like what you've done.  Can you give me a few more details on the modification?  I'm green experience-wise.  What numbers am I looking to match?

tbone: The whole string isn't working.  I may have had multiple bulbs stop working.  It's hard to pinpoint, especially since I can't find lights to replace them with.  I know smart strings are the way to go, but I thought this might be a fun little project to get me started since I'm new to the group.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, »
You don't need to use those long buls.  You can use any IIRC 3.5V bulbs.  Just put them into those sockets and your good to go.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline djbbjd

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, »
I wish that were the case, but the standard mini lights aren't long enough on the base to make a connection.