Author Topic: Point me in the right direction...  (Read 1366 times)

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
Point me in the right direction...
« on: January 06, 2010, »
Ordered DMX PCB and all parts.  On the coop for 4 LE.  2010 will be my first real light show.  (08 & 09 had had a couple of Gemmi 6 channel boxes.... YUK!)   Learning a lot of new stuff.  I want to set up Vixen.  I watched the multi part youtube videos showing how to do a basic setup using Snoopy's dog house and the Peanuts theme.  I have drawn out my setup for 2010 and I will be building 2 more LE's for a total of 96 channels. 

Can someone point me to a video or some kind of step by step on how to set up the  dmx dongle and 6 Lynx Express in Vixen.  Then using what I learned in the videos I can rename my 96 channels and start playing around with some music.  I figure it would be a good idea to set up the software with what I plan to have for Xmas 2010.

Also I did the snoopy thing with a picture of my own house and amazing grace song.  The version was 2.1.4.  It worked fine.  It had several folders.  Then I downloaded 2.5.  It only had 4 folders.  It did not have a sequence or audio folder.  I tried to merge my stuff into the newer version but could not get it to work.  This confused me on the versions?  I would gather to go with 2.1.4?

Anyway the main thing is to properly set up my channels in vixen.  I did find one place that said how to set it up but the link was off until a place could be found to put the videos or something like that.

Thank you so much.

Can't wait
So excited
Wahoo!

Ron
Oklahoma
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mo001

Re: Point me in the right direction...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, »
There are some videos on YouTube about vixen.  Really good how to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  I learned alot from this hope it helps.

Mike
I'm ready to build

Offline OkieJay

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, »
Ron,
I am sure you will be able to pick it up in no time, but I would be happy to sit down with you and help you with any questions you may have.  I got a 30 minute lesson over the phone from another DLA member and that really helped me out.  Since you are right down the road, we can get together anytime, just give me a call.  "Pay it  forward" is how we keep growing.  And remember, when you get the PIC for your dongle, give me a call and I will program it for you.  I got my PICket a few weeks ago and I am getting pretty good with it.
Jay

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, »
Hi Ron,

Just a few quick pointers.

One you don't need the dongle or LEs to start sequencing.

You just setup the adjustable preview with each channel drawn on it.

Vixen doesn't know or care to what is connected to each channel. You just go from channel 1 to channel ??

I normally name my channels like so: LE1-1 Mini Tree 1 (color Red), LE1-2 Mini Tree 2 (color Green), etc
LE1 = First 1
-1 or -2 = channel on LE

Normally I create a profile with all of the channel info in it. It makes creating new sequences with all of the channels very simple. Then when I am ready for the show I remove/ flatten out the profile from the seq and remove the preview.

Hope that helps some

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, »
I have re-posted the Dongle Setup videos.  The link in the Wiki for these have also been updated.

Video #1

Video #2

Bill

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, »
I have re-posted the Dongle Setup videos.  The link in the Wiki for these have also been updated.

Video #1

Video #2

Bill

Thanks Mr. Bill :D
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required