Author Topic: mini tree,s  (Read 3351 times)

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
mini tree,s
« on: February 13, 2011, »
what do yall think, if anyone would like a how to let me know and I will post it. Enjoy
Jeff

Offline tmtfield

Re: mini tree,s
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, »
Hey Jeff

That is a nice little setup. <res.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you estimate the PVC cost per mini-tree?
The reason that I ask is that I am looking to add 20 24" mini's this year so that I can create chase patterns around the yard. I have been searching for ideas and alternative materials.

Thanks again for the pics 8)

Tim
Debating with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead

Tim

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, »
If cost is an issue as it is with most of us, then you might be better off going with tomato cages.  Those snap Tee's can add up in cost real quick.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If cost is an issue as it is with most of us, then you might be better off going with tomato cages.  Those snap Tee's can add up in cost real quick.

They definitely get expensive but there are a couple of ways to save money at the box stores. Buy the contractor packs of 10 and and have a buddy who has their military ID get you an extra 10% off at the checkout. I personally like the idea of using PVC as it is so easy to work with.

Rich

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, »
I don't think that I have ever seen split tee's at the big box stores, at least not the ones near me and I am in them all of the time.  I also find PVC easy to work with but with tomato cages, there is no work involved at all other than wrapping the lights. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, »
Great looking tree Jeff.  Is that all 3/4 inch?  What size cap is that?  Also I guess one could use regular tees but it would require more small cuts on the base but would lower the price some.

Thanks for sharing

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, »
Hi Lineman

Nice job on your trees. They look great.

I agree with the other posts about the connectors being expensive. Reason why my mini trees only use one connector. I think it cost me around $2.00 total in PVC (4 way connector and one 10' 1/2 pipe) for each tree. PVC is easy to work with and you can quickly build your trees (once you got your pattern down).

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, »
Thanks guys for the comments here is some of the answers to the ?s

All of the pipe and fittins ars 1/2 inch , the pipe is electrical 1/2 inch schedule 40 and the fittings are water pipe fittins

snap T's       7 x .49 = 3.43
                     1/2 schedule 40 electrical       3 x .95 = 2.85
                                   45 degree couplin     7 x .51 = 3.57
                           2 inch cap                         1 x 1.25 - 1.25
                                                                    ---------------------
                                                                                 11.10 per tree
PS you could use a larger t on the base and then put a screw in it to hold it in place
 if you wanted to not use the snap t
    PSS these tree,s are 3 ft tall you could adjust the size as needed      
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, by lineman »
Jeff

Offline CB

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, »
Jeff,
Those look nice.  I like the idea however since I already have all of my mini trees made out of tomato cages I will continue the status quo for now.  If it works...don't fix it.  But I like the structure you have there.  It might look cool to get some strings with stars on them and cut and solder one star onto the top of the tree and splice them into one of your other strings.  I am currently adding two different colors of strobes to all of mine just because I feel obligated to change things every year.

You know the blinking isn't enough I always want that added FLASH to see if I can cause convulsions in passers by. 

P.S.  I may steel your idea for some 6-8' trees and add some guy wires to them, seems like the post season stacking would be better.

Corey

Offline inzeos

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, »
Thanks guys for the comments here is some of the answers to the ?s

All of the pipe and fittins ars 1/2 inch , the pipe is electrical 1/2 inch schedule 40 and the fittings are water pipe fittins

snap T's       7 x .49 = 3.43
                     1/2 schedule 40 electrical       3 x .95 = 2.85
                                   45 degree couplin     7 x .51 = 3.57
                           2 inch cap                         1 x 1.25 - 1.25
                                                                    ---------------------
                                                                                 11.10 per tree
PS you could use a larger t on the base and then put a screw in it to hold it in place
 if you wanted to not use the snap t
    PSS these tree,s are 3 ft tall you could adjust the size as needed      

Where did you source your fittings from?

Is it cheaper to use the snap T's rather than just regular T's?  Regular T's would mean more cuts and smaller lengths of pipe at the base.

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, »
Where did you source your fittings from?

Is it cheaper to use the snap T's rather than just regular T's?  Regular T's would mean more cuts and smaller lengths of pipe at the base

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login this is were I bought the snap T,s everything else was cheaper from home depot. I used 1/2 electrical pipe schedule 40 , you could put a 1 inch T over the 1/2 inch and let it swivel on the pipe or put a screw thru it if you don't want to use the snap T's or use 1/2 inch tee's just make sure they are aligned right if you decide to glue them . I did't glue the snap Tee's so I could take apart for storage
Jeff

Offline inzeos

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, »
How many t's did you buy to make the shipping worth it?  Qty 50 was like $20 bucks to ship.

Do you have pictures of yours broken down?

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, »
How many t's did you buy to make the shipping worth it?  Qty 50 was like $20 bucks to ship.

Do you have pictures of yours broken down?
Look at the first post all the pieces are laid out and me and another DLA member went in together on 96 1/2 x 1/2 Tee's and 8 1/2 x 3/4 tee,s
Jeff

Offline craig d

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, »
I would like to see how Rick R. builds a mini tree with only one  4-way fitting. PVC sounds a lot better than metal here in Mich. where is's always wet or snowy.  thanks, craig

Offline inzeos

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, »
Jeff are you unwrapping the lights each time you break it down?