Author Topic: Two years running  (Read 884 times)

Offline shaunkad

Two years running
« on: December 25, 2011, »
For two years running now I have had issues with my show. Last year I had an ice dam and had to salt the roof. I could only run the yard lights the house lights kept popping my GFIs. This year I bought the Lowes LED floods to highlight my inflatables. they are supposed to be used outside. Well they are not water proof by any means one of five shorted so bad it cooked two extension cords a triac and a twenty amp fuse. Now this circut is GFI protected and has two fifteen amp breakers along with the twenty amp fuse none of the breakers tripped.  One of the cords was a 12 awg cord.  <yk.. <md.. Off to Lowes this week and complane they almost burned down my house. these lights are definitely not safe.

Offline tbone321

Re: Two years running
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, »
GFCI does not look for shorts.  It simply compares outgoing to incoming current and if it doesn't match then the GFCI trips.  If water gets into the socket and shorts between the hot and common, the GFCI would not see that as anything but a heavy current draw and since it is not a line protection device, it will do nothing.  As for the lights, do they still have their gaskets and are you using standard flood lights in them?  If the gasket is missing or you are using those small indoor colored floods that don't seal well to the gasket then water can get in, especially if you have them pointing on an upword angle.  I used one of them for Halloween and it worked ok for me but I had a full sized green flood in it an it was pointing on a slight downward angle which helps to keep the water out.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, »
These are not the standard incan floods they are a sealed led floods the are outdoor rated. Lowes was selling them for around 10 dollars this year.  I will take a picture later and post

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, »
as promised

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, »
Pictures of the packaging.

PS. I was not dimming these the caps make dimming prohibitive strictly on off.

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, »
I saw those earlier in the season. I was considering them but the light output seemed very weak. I am glad I took a pass. Sorry that happened to you. Make them pay for everything!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, »
they are dim but much better than the one or two 12 volt mini in my four foot inflatables

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, »
Less than wonderful solder job on the incoming power line.     I'd take a close look at how well the line coming into the box is sealed on your other lights.   Prime spot for water to sneak in.     

Good luck on getting the right response from Lowes.   

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline mcangeli

• Original Gangsta
    • Mcangeli
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, »
I bought one of the lowes led lights like that to use to light up my Tune To sign and its worked well....

Sorry to hear you've had problems.

Mark