Author Topic: LED polarity  (Read 630 times)

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
LED polarity
« on: November 12, 2010, »
Is it typical that some bulbs have reversed polarity compared to others or is it just Home Depot's Home Accent (i think that's what they were.) 

I have been making multi colored strands into single color and two green and two red on each strand have a different polarity than the rest. I figured out how to get it to work I was just wondering if all brands were this way.

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
Re: LED polarity
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, »
You need to be careful mixing LEDs like that - the Red/Orange/Yellow colors tend to have a lower forward voltage (~2v) than the Blue/Green/White colors which are around 3-3.4v. You may end up blowing up all your Red LEDs and your Blues/Greens will be too dim. The voltages are usually set by resistors (e.g. those blobs on the strings). With incandescents it doesn't matter.

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, »
So far no explosions <md..  Would it happen immediately or something over time? My plans are to take 400 red and put them on one mini tree.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, by fertsy »

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, »
It would depend a bit on how many LEDs are inline on the same path. You might see them (Red) be *very* bright - for a while - they may even run that way for a while - but it will definitely shorten their lifespan. Think about a string of 35 LEDs - for Red this would be about a 70v drop while for Blue it might be 112v - that means there would be an additional 42v across the limiting resistor which would somewhere in the area of twice the current for those LEDs (give or take). Do the strings have the inline "blobs" on them? There's a chance you could do some surgery on them and replace the drop resistors with something more appropriate. If anything you may want to do some measurements on a normal string and determine the current draw (probably 15-20mA) and come up with a resistor replacement - it's cheap insurance.