Author Topic: Needed Lynx express main chip - nj  (Read 1730 times)

Offline ratroder

Needed Lynx express main chip - nj
« on: November 28, 2010, »
Is there anyone in nj around (haddonfeild) that possibly has an extra lynx express v5 main chip that I could possibly buy form them. I am in need of on I believe. My controller was giving me a problem from the beginning but it always worked. But now it is really giving me a problem.

I am only in need of the chip. I figured I would post on here before I go out and buy one.

Thanks
Steve
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, by ratroder »

Offline ratroder

Re: Needed Lynx express main chip - nj
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, »
I managed to get it to work for now so I will just order one on moody form mouse.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
moody form mouse.

Is this some new techno group?

Just kidding!

What is it doing or not doing? normally if programmed successfully they are good to go?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ratroder

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, »
Well the controller will drop the data connection but there is still data flowing through it to the dmx output (this has been going on for a bit). The controller will also light channel 15 dimly and leave it on (sometimes and recently just started). Also the display sometimes will not change (respond to the mode button being hit) but the controller does go into whatever mode you wish.

but all of this will go away sometimes if the controller has been off for a bit.

I have tried reprogramming the chip to no avail and I also have tried erasing the chip and then rewriting the data to it with no avail.  

Sorry about the spelling above.

I personally think this should be moved to the lynx express area.

Steve
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, by ratroder »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, »
Yes I agree a new pic would be a logical first test.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ratroder

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, »
 So today I got my chip and programmed it with no problem. I put the chip into the controller to find that it solved the mode switch activations being recognized on the display, and the data in is now recognized by the controller.

But now after time has passed (bout 2 hours or so) one channel, 15, comes on (bout 75%). The strand will not go off even I a sequence or test mode or nothing. The led on the board is not lit and has no plan of even lighting (does light in sequence and test but not when controller is idle ( strand of lights on 15 is lit all the time)).  I think it is either transistor 15 or the little chip on channel 15.

What do you guys think the problem is?
Also, what does that little chip on each channel do?

Thanks
Steve
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, by ratroder »

Offline ponddude

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, »
Steve,

The little chip, as you call it, is the opto coupler.  Its job is to isolate the high voltage side of the board from the low voltage side.  There is no physical connection inside that chip, just an LED.

If your channel is stock on it is, like you said, one of 2 things.  One would be that the opto is bad.  Take one from elsewhere on the board and try it.  If it still comes on it is most likely a bad triac.  You will have to desolder that and pop in a new one.  Hope for the opto...haha :D
Greg
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline ratroder

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, »
Ok sounds good. Hopefully it is the opto. Those triacs are a major pain to get out of the boards. I already and to do it once. Will have to check it out tomorrow.

Thanks
Steve

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, »
You don't even have to swap the opto with another one, just remove that one on the channel that i acting up and see if the channel shuts down.  If so then the triac is good and then you can swap in a different opto to see if that was the problem.  If the triac is bad, you might want to cut the leads on the triac prior to removal and then just remove the cut pins as doing that will require much less heat and risk of damging the board.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

You might want to check for solder bridges, just in case.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues