Author Topic: Sample lights arrived - disappointing !!  (Read 3497 times)

Offline Corey872

Re: Sample lights arrived - disappointing !!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, »
As I understood it, people who were coming up short on nodes were being sent 'extra nodes' ?? So it would seem those either have the ability to be soldered into a string and act as normal nodes, if not, they are just a box of parts which are pretty to look at?

Guess I just thought this was more of a 'professional assembly' as opposed to being made in a Chinese garage somewhere.  Even if they are hand made, I wouldn't think it to be too hard to make a board with 128 holes, stick a node in each and solder an equal length of wire in between.  I soldered 1,000 capacitors and resistors together for my tesla coil and it wasn't THAT big of a deal.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As I understood it, people who were coming up short on nodes were being sent 'extra nodes' ?? So it would seem those either have the ability to be soldered into a string and act as normal nodes, if not, they are just a box of parts which are pretty to look at?

Guess I just thought this was more of a 'professional assembly' as opposed to being made in a Chinese garage somewhere.  Even if they are hand made, I wouldn't think it to be too hard to make a board with 128 holes, stick a node in each and solder an equal length of wire in between.  I soldered 1,000 capacitors and resistors together for my tesla coil and it wasn't THAT big of a deal.

HUH????

The extra nodes are assembled with circuit board, wires (input and output), LEDs, weather proofing encapsulation

What we have to do is solder 3 wires and add shrink tubing. Not a box of parts

Of course nodes do have an input and output side so if you mess that up you can destroy the nodes

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline fjaust

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, »
A refund is acceptable - 'great' customer service would have been another strip sent to you for free properly packaged!  Did you send Ray the picture or link here of how it was originally shipped?

It's good to hear he will be working on improving the sealing of the lights - unfortunately a bit late for those who already have ordered.  Proper waterproofing was an 'extra' negotiated by RJ (I'm assuming for a price concession) - having them not properly sealed is not a good sign.

One postive note is Ray seems to be willing to make things somewhat right with all the issues - it is still unfortunate that there are so many issues with these nodes and none of the regular members have the ability to test them...

i did send him a photo of the strip in the condition it arrived. i'm happy with a refund though. i'd rather just get my money back than take the chance of another single strip being packaged not quite right again.

i agree, the ability to not be able to test them yet is a worry and a small part of the reason why i have not ordered in bulk yet.

Offline Corey872

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, »

HUH????

The extra nodes are assembled with circuit board, wires (input and output), LEDs, weather proofing encapsulation

What we have to do is solder 3 wires and add shrink tubing. Not a box of parts

Of course nodes do have an input and output side so if you mess that up you can destroy the nodes

Cheers

Rick R.

Sorry - maybe a couple threads getting tangled up here.  Didn't realize the extra nodes will be soldered at the pigtail wires instead of at the base of the actual node.  Dealing with the pigtails would pretty much rule out the self assembly thought.