Hardware > Lynx EtherDongle

Cat5 vs. Cat5e

<< < (2/4) > >>

caretaker:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginI see.  So Cat5 is ok for runs of 200 ft or less, theoretically.  So I could in theory have a 200 ft run from my etherdongle to my first active hub and then another 200 ft run to my second active hub?  Or is it 200 ft. total?

--- End quote ---
200 feet from device to regeneration of signal. What I mean by that is that if you go from the EtherDongle to your active hub the signal is regenerated as it comes out of the active hub. So anytime your have a device the regenerates the DMX (or pixelnet) signal you could go another 200 feet. Now that I have said all this the standard for Cat5 cables for MAX length is 100 meters (328 feet) so yes you could go to an extra 128 feet but you would really be pushing it.  Most people don't have access to a cable verifier to check how well the cable transmits data so keeping it under 200' is playing it safe. YMMV ( I am not a networking expert and this is by no means to be considered expert advice just knowledge learned from real world experiance)

RJ:
the 100 meters limit on Cat5 is for ethernet and really does not apply to our system. The ethernet is running ten times the speed so it is not as easy to go long distences. The issue for us is more the hub to SSc distence do to power over the cable. also then the distence from SSC to first node is limited to about 6 - 10 ft.

If it is just the data from etherdongle to hub 500 ft will work. I tried it once. and could see no problems.

RJ

Zeph:
Somebody even pointed out on another venue that there is a little more resistance for the higher levels: Cat 6 > Cat 5e > Cat 5.   Because of twists, a 100' cable has conductors longer than 100', and the higher grades have tighter twists and longer conductors.  So for power, cat5 could be (slightly) better.

Mostly this is a small effect tho, I think it was no more than about 10% (I don't have the figures he quoted from some tables he used in his work).  Nothing to really concern anybody, just a minor point.

rm357:
If you are so marginal that 5% is going to make or break you, you should plan to do something different...

Having said that, there is a huge difference between 22 gauge and 24 gauge wire... a single 22 gauge wire is equivalent to two 24 gauge wires. If you are not carrying power, its not that big a deal, but if you are carrying power, the 22 gauge is the better choice.

Hamblinj:
So how long can a cat5 from the hub to the SSC be?  I am trying to place my hubs in a more hidden space, and the longer cable would be nice?

John

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Loginthe 100 meters limit on Cat5 is for ethernet and really does not apply to our system. The ethernet is running ten times the speed so it is not as easy to go long distences. The issue for us is more the hub to SSc distence do to power over the cable. also then the distence from SSC to first node is limited to about 6 - 10 ft.

If it is just the data from etherdongle to hub 500 ft will work. I tried it once. and could see no problems.

RJ

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version