Author Topic: Set up question  (Read 2665 times)

Offline urthegman

Set up question
« on: June 19, 2012, »
Hello All, If I am going to run my Expresses off of the DMX output on an active Hub using DMX pin 1, do I HAVE to dedicate all 512 channels as DMX channels if I am only using 128 of them? In other words, can I start my Smart strings at channel 129? Or do I have to start them at channel 513? I'm in the middle of sequencing and don't want to have to keep changing channel #'s. Thanks for your help, George

Offline keitha43

Re: Set up question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, »
If the jumpers are at 1 the dmx is duplicating what is being sent to the smartstrings so actually if you had a smartstring programed to start at channel 1 and a dmx set to channel 1 they would be mirroring each other. So in short yes you can do that.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, »
George, you can definitely do that (start your SS at 129) but doing it to avoid future changes?

I am in a similar situation, wanting that DMX universe out of the hub, so I am intentionally avoiding the use any of the first 512 channels for Smart String use. That way, if I do need to add another Express or 3-channel controller or MR16, etc. on that universe, I have plenty of spare channels.

Smart String channels have "high numbers" anyway, so by avoiding 1 thru 512, I'll always know what is DMX and what is SS. You'll still have 7x512 channels for PixelNet purposes. (3584)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, by JonB256 »

Offline urthegman

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, »
Thank you gentleman, might be a good idea to start the smart strings at 513, I forgot about the channels for the Aether 2 and it might be a good idea to leave some room for expansion.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, »
In my case, every channel was precious. :)

I decided to reserve 1-100 for DMX and 101 and above for Pixelnet in my setup.
As long as you record the assignments, you don't need to worry about where the 'line' between DMX and Pixelnet is drawn.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In my case, every channel was precious. :)

I decided to reserve 1-100 for DMX and 101 and above for Pixelnet in my setup.
As long as you record the assignments, you don't need to worry about where the 'line' between DMX and Pixelnet is drawn.

Steve, my plan is to use more Hubs to avoid crowding of the channels. You probably know how plans can go. :(

Offline rm357

Set up question
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, »
I did the same thing Steve did - first 100 for DMX, rest for pix.

While I'm adding aethers, I'm also replacing some DMX stuff with pix.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline urthegman

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, »
One more question, ok this is two, In LSP controller type is Light Controller? And Controller Protocol is E1.31 over Ethernet since I am using the Etherdongle?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, »
The plugin is "E1.31 DMX Output".  Configure this with multiple universes...  universe 1 is start=1, size=512  universe 2 is start=513, size=512, and continue that pattern for all of the channels that plan to use.

The controller can be a mix of selections... use "Lynx PixelNet" for your SSCs.  Type is RGB Light Controller" and the protocol is "E1.31 DMX over Ethernet"    ...use Lynx Express 16 channel, etc. for your other DMX devices that are accessible over the DMX page coming out of your hub.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline urthegman

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, »
Just a follow up to this, after changing the starting channels for 10 SSC's that run my 10 flexible strips on 8 LSP sequences to start at channel 513, I decided to test the output on my matrix and strip 8 only lit up half way and strip 9 wouldn't light at all. I tried two other strips on both with the exact same result. (they all work when attached to other controllers in the matrix). So I reflashed the SSC's to start at channel 129 and one matrix sequence to start at channel 129 as well and it worked like a charm. Any idea why it would work with one starting channel and not the other?

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, »
Your setup Sounds good. I suggest rechecking your lsp setup. Sounds like there is a problem with your channel configuration. Sounds like you may have only 512 channels configured.

I am just getting started with ss and I also use lsp.

Good luck
Have Fun!

Offline rm357

Set up question
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, »
You didn't say how many nodes per strip, but assuming 120 and one strip starts where the last one ends...

10x120x3+513=4113. Last pixelnet address is 4096.
The sscs are unpredictable if the last address is invalid - I had trouble with that last year...

RM

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline urthegman

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, »
Sorry I left the node count out, I am using 90 nodes on each strip. Hmmm, has me thinking though, I wonder what would happen if I changed the starting channel to say 518 instead of 513. Busy weekend, may have to wait until Monday to try this. Also wanted to add that I also tried changing SSC's to spare controllers flashed with the proper channel #'s.