Author Topic: Disappointment? maybe.  (Read 3245 times)

Offline jthtiger

Disappointment? maybe.
« on: December 02, 2010, »
Hey Guys,

I have an issue, I guess, with some of the videos I've been seeing. How come most of the displays out there seem to be more like christmas lights just running some chase patterns/sequences with music added on top. I haven't seen many displays that merge the lights with the music. Does that make sense?

For example this video, while it's a great display, just looks like the lights playing some sequences with background music.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This video is a little better with actually syncing the lights to the music, but I still think there's room for improvement.

My biggest issue is with leaping arches. It seems off when they leap with no regard to the beat of the music.

I know I sound very critical, but I'm not trying to be. I just want to know your guys' opinion on why this happens.

I work with concert lighting, so I know the value of having lights that go with the music, as opposed to patterns with background music.

I don't know, maybe I'm being a jerk here.

Thoughts?

-Tyler Herron

P.S. I'm not claiming I'm doing any better, by the way. I don't have any videos of my display, and I'm only doing a static display this year.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Disappointment? maybe.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, »
Hi Tyler,

It all about learning and growing. Some people are going to be better than others. Take me for instance. I know nothing about music, I am good with hardware and software. I know my sequences are not great but at the same time if I am happy with it and other people enjoy than that is all that I could ask for. We do this for as a hobby which is miles away from what most professional commercial folks would do.

I truly look forward to see what you can show and teach us. To help all of us make a better show. At the same time no one has the right to put another person's show down.

Cheers

Rick R.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, »
Yes, you are a jerk!   ;D

I understand your position.  Because I am a musician, I am very particular about the coordination of lights to music.  I also agree most shows I've seen lack the precision I require of my own sequences.  However, to each his own.  This is all art and Christmas is meant to be a positive and enjoyable experience for all.

I am only 32 channels while most guys are pushing the multiple universe envelope.  However, my sequences are TIGHT.  That said, my 10 year old daughter has made it clear to me that precision is not required.  In fact, there are alot of blinking displays in my neck of the woods that have no music whatsoever. 

I think with the advent of RGB, the animated light show thing is going to be even less music driven.  Maybe they will give 2 awards: One for best RGB show and one for tightest light sequencing.  Oh wait...   There aren't any awards!   ;D 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, »
Personally, I think the Holdman videos are beautiful. I don't know if there is a fixture more copied than the Holdman Star.
A lot of times, people will film their displays and then lay the audio over the top. It is not always easy to get the audio and video synchronized.
This is our first year animating lights and I know that our sequences are pretty primitive and simple. I expect next year to be better and so on and so on. There is a learning curve for Vixen or LOR or LSP.
Some animations are better than others. I don't think people would publish their videos if they weren't proud of them. Not everyone is musical.
Of course, this is only my opinion. Yours may vary.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline jthtiger

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, »
I agree with you guys, and I wasn't trying to put anyone down. I forgot for the moment that it was a hobby, where as my motivations on most everything I do are more than the average hobbyist.

I guess it all boils down to what zwiller said: "to each his own" I enjoy tight sequences, where as the blinky flashy may be all someone else requires.

And, I've been in a bad mood this week. . . so. I'm being too critical.

-Tyler Herron

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

You've got a whole 'nother year now to show us how it's done...

(So we can steal the ideas for the year after...)

;D

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, »
OK TYLER

Post your video & show us how it is DONE.

Mike

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, »
Tyler

All I want to say is Merry Christmas and I hope you start to feel better GOD BLESS
Jeff

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, »

Tyler

All I want to say is Merry Christmas and I hope you start to feel better GOD BLESS
Thanks Jeff.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, »
Tyler

Best reply in the thead!    <wd..

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline warspyder

• My Black Jeep
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, »
I agree with you guys, and I wasn't trying to put anyone down.

Didn't sound like you were to me. I sequenced 2 songs, then found a bunch of sequences available to download, at this moment I stink at sequencing.

And, I've been in a bad mood this week. . . so. I'm being too critical.

-Tyler Herron

Must be the time of year or something in the water. My whole household has been grumpy!

Flash on!

Mark
Mark Coulter
Oak Harbor, WA

Offline jthtiger

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, »
I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

It could just be that it's finals week and I have a lot on my plate.

-Tyler Herron

Offline castortiu

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, »
How come most of the displays out there seem to be more like christmas lights just running some chase patterns/sequences with music added on top. I haven't seen many displays that merge the lights with the music. Does that make sense?

You may have the most amazing hardware but without the software is just a shining box :) “Quote from Bill Gates to the creator of the Altair.”

Until we don’t have software that can make sequencing easier to a new level probably we won’t see too often amazing sequences.

Cas.

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, »
I don't know, maybe I'm being a jerk here.

Thoughts?

-Tyler Herron

When a man is right, he is right!

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, »
You have to be able to see the cool things in both the video links.   Both are very cool in their own right.